- 2016 - 2018
- BBC Two
- 20 (3 series)
- David Mitchell, Rob Rouse, Gemma Whelan, Liza Tarbuck, Harry Enfield, Paula Wilcox, Helen Monks, Steve Speirs and others
- Ben Elton
- Matt Lipsey and Richard Boden
- Gareth Edwards
It's 1592 and Will Shakespeare is just at the beginning of his extraordinary career. The series focuses on both Will's family and professional life and include the surprising stories of where many of his ideas came from.
Also featured are his wife Anne and his extended family, his servant Bottom, his friends Kate and Marlowe, his theatrical troupe, and his rival Robert Greene.
In the series, Will finds inspiration for Romeo from an unlikely source; mislays a nearly treasonous masterpiece; gets tricked into a very embarrassing pair of tights; has a spot of bother with the wife over some sonnets; meets three witches who predict great things for him; and borrows some money on some rather unusual conditions.
- Production company
- Laugh track
- Live audience
- First broadcast
- Monday 9th May 2016 on BBC Two at 10pm
- Last new broadcast
- Tuesday 25th December 2018 on BBC Two at 8:35pm
- Last repeat
- Monday 2nd March 2020 at 12:35am on Gold