- 2017 - 2021
- Channel 4
- 12 (2 series)
- Simon Blackwell
- David Mitchell, Robert Webb, Penny Downie, Louise Brealey, Geoffrey McGivern, Jessica Gunning, Oliver Maltman, Olivia Poulet and more
- Simon Blackwell, Will Smith and Ian Martin
- Ben Palmer and George Kane
- Kate Daughton, Lyndsay Robinson, Kenton Allen, David Mitchell, Robert Webb, Simon Blackwell, Matthew Justice, Victoria Grew and Jo Alloway
Stephen's father, a local legend and pub landlord, has died so Stephen is set to - finally - take over the pub. Mum Ellen and sister Cass have no interest in the family business - they're 'creative', with weed to buy and energy-centres to rebalance.
With his dad dead, it's now Stephen's chance to shine - his only achievements so far have been marriage (followed by divorce) and a slightly disappointing pub refurb. But when the charming Andrew turns up out of the blue at his dad's funeral, Stephen's plans go awry.
Charismatic Andrew has lived in Sydney, Amsterdam, Chicago, the Loire valley and Berlin but crucially, spent five formative months in 1989 fostered by Laurie and Ellen as a 15-year-old. To Stephen, Andrew was just one of a string of 30-odd foster kids who he spent his childhood resenting. But Andrew remembers every single detail and sees that time as the most important of his life.
Now Andrew's back, and keen to revisit the closest thing he's ever had to a family. Ellen loves Andrew. Cass loves Andrew. Even Laurie's erratic brother Uncle Geoff loves Andrew. But Stephen doesn't love Andrew. He thinks he's a glib, dangerous sociopath who's about to steal his family, his business and his life.
Stream and download
- Camera set-up
- Single camera
- First broadcast
- Wednesday 6th September 2017 at 10pm on Channel 4
- Most recent repeats
- Stroud - Local town scenes
- The Blackwood Arms (Burnham) - The John Barleycorn exteriors (Link)