Status report Page 6,092

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd March 2021, 2:52 PM

Hang in there!

It's 72 years in the States. I can only assume they chose that number because it was the average life expectancy - at least back when the decision was made? We can currently view the 1940 census, so I can see my father as a 4-year-old. Next year we'll have access to the 1950 census, so I'll be able to see my 8-year-old mother. It's always fascinating to see addresses, occupations, etc.

Thank DB. I'd love to be able to see the 1951 UK Census! And the ones in between - 31 and 41. As it is, we only get to see the 1921 issue next spring!! Grrrrrr. Angry

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd March 2021, 6:14 AM

Watch it Dave, or you'll have chipolata to answer to.

I wondered why my ears were burning on Tuesday.

:D

Last night two TV quiz contestants both in their late 20's couldn't answer this :
" A stopped clock is right once/twice/three times/four times a day.
One didn't know and the other said four times.
No one is going to be able to tell the time by looking at a clock anymore.:)

24 hour clock (Military time as they say across the pond) would be once a day so did they specify? The answer can only be once for 24 hour or twice for 12 hour clock so either way I see your point about the dunce generation. I don't know why they bother going on quiz shows when they know absolutely nothing.

Tarby: That isn't fair on the young ones, they may never have seen an Analogue clock (the ones with rotating hands, you know) so they don't know how to read them.

We don't call ourselves dunces if for instance we don't know how to ride a horse.

Similarly the young ones don't know how to use a telephone dial, all the phones they are familiar with have push buttons or simulated buttons on a touch screen.

Quote: billwill @ 5th March 2021, 12:42 AM

Tarby: That isn't fair on the young ones, they may never have seen an Analogue clock (the ones with rotating hands, you know) so they don't know how to read them.

We don't call ourselves dunces if for instance we don't know how to ride a horse.

Similarly the young ones don't know how to use a telephone dial, all the phones they are familiar with have push buttons or simulated buttons on a touch screen.

:D Even the ones who pretend they know nothing are not that stupid. It's a persona where they can't go wrong because they would just put any adverse publicity down to a mistake due to inherent stupidity that dates back generations. Gemma Collins etc.

Quote: billwill @ 5th March 2021, 12:42 AM

They don't know what this means

Quote: john tregorran @ 4th March 2021, 10:11 PM

Last night two TV quiz contestants both in their late 20's couldn't answer this :
" A stopped clock is right once/twice/three times/four times a day.
One didn't know and the other said four times.
No one is going to be able to tell the time by looking at a clock anymore.:)

What's a clock?

Actually I've got loads of clocks but could never wear a wristwatch. After a while you can estimate the time quite well.

Just been reading an article about fat people marrying thin people and how they are generally blissfully happy.
Fair do's .
But, they are upset about being called the fat one or the thin one.
They prefer being called a mixed weight relationship.
It's hard not to laugh.

They stay together though Thick and thin

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 7th March 2021, 1:55 PM

Just been reading an article about fat people marrying thin people and how they are generally blissfully happy.
Fair do's .
But, they are upset about being called the fat one or the thin one.
They prefer being called a mixed weight relationship.
It's hard not to laugh.

Yes, it's weird that - I knew two couples like that in the 60s and could never see what the thin man saw in the fat woman ( for that was usually the case), and even one of the couples swopped partners at a party we went to with another fat/thin pair. Never understood it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th March 2021, 3:08 PM

Yes, it's weird that - I knew two couples like that in the 60s and could never see what the thin man saw in the fat woman ( for that was usually the case), and even one of the couples swopped partners at a party we went to with another fat/thin pair. Never understood it.

Jack Spratt?

Was he real?

Funny old world as they say.

Today on Twitter I gave the biggest newspaper in Yorkshire a roasting saying they do nothing but print bad news.
Their headline was about covid infections on the rise everywhere in Yorkshire and another severe lockdown is on the cards.
They then gave a rundown of the towns where infections had gone up - missing out all the places where it has all but disappeared.
I pointed out that they failed to mention that deaths were about 60 and falling daily.

I received a private message from them saying they would love to print the good news and they love the good news but...
Good news does not sell papers and it's their job to sell papers. Bad news sells.