Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? Page 2

Quote: zooo @ 15th February 2014, 10:26 PM GMT

I kept thinking it would be some clever double bluff, but no, he was just straight up cheating on her. Bizarre!

Wouldn't anyone if they were married to her?

This is on Drama at 7.20 tonight.

"Home is the Hero". Sounds like the first episode. Or second I think.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th February 2014, 11:04 AM GMT

If it was a misunderstanding, then he should publicly apologise to RB (he won't of course - apparently he is quite arrogant and too big for his boots) as from interviews I have seen with RB over this, the poor man is distraught over the whole affair.

Not that it will ever happen (unless JB has a moment of revelation!) it certainly would be a fantastic one off!! What a great idea Ben!
:)

I always got the impression James Bolam was an arse, I never knew Rodney Bewes and James Bolam fell out. I got the impression in the show New Tricks his character was his true character in real life, a miserable old sod.

Quote: alan1967 @ 6th January 2016, 4:46 AM GMT

I always got the impression James Bolam was an arse,

My God, you trawled that one up from nearly 2 years ago, no wonder I didn't recognise it at first. :D

And yes, he is so it seems.

Another excellent comedy from Clement and Frenais (they really are excellent writers).

The quality of their writing here is up there with Porridge. In fact the conversations in this series between Bob and Terry remind me at times of those between Fletcher and Godber in Porridge.

My favourite episode was perhaps The Shape of Things to Come (the last of the 26 before the Christmas special). This is where Terry's Uncle Albert dies, who Bob and Terry remember with great affection from their youth.

But when they go to the care home where Uncle Albert lived they find out he was just an older version of Terry, and he had a friend who was an older version of Bob (whose life had been ruined by Uncle Albert), and they both realise they have seen their futures.

Reminds me a little of the Steptoe and son where the two escaped prisoners (one old, one younger) break in to the Steptoe home and meet the two Steptoes and again see themselves in these two failed rag and bone men.

Sad to see the two "lads" have fallen out as I think a new series with them now as OAPs would be excellent (a bit like Last of The Summer Wine but with laughs).

P.S. I am old enough to remember watching these Likely Lads shows when they were first on and boy did I fancy Anita Carey (Thelma's younger sister who Terry has a fling with). She appeared in a couple of Ripping Yarns as well (Michael Palin's younger sister in one episode).

I see she is now 67 (but as I am 66 that is fine I like older women!).

A photo from when she was young.

http://liambluett.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Anita-Carey-8.jpg

Yes, a very sexy lady, and in "The Old Magic" when Bob takes Terry out for a meal (just prior to Bob's wedding) and sees her with another girl, they decide to see if they still have the "pulling power" - Bob chatting her up only to find out that she is Thelma's sister Susan. V funny. Laughing out loud

Anthea (played by Juliet Aykroyd), Thelma's colleague at work, was quite hot.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 7th January 2016, 6:24 PM GMT

Anthea (played by Juliet Aykroyd), Thelma's colleague at work, was quite hot.

What Andy Murray's mum...........

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th January 2016, 4:42 PM GMT

Yes, a very sexy lady, and in "The Old Magic" when Bob takes Terry out for a meal (just prior to Bob's wedding) and sees her with another girl, they decide to see if they still have the "pulling power" - Bob chatting her up only to find out that she is Thelma's sister Susan. V funny. Laughing out loud

I do love that scene.

However it did occur to me recently that seeing as how Bob and Thelma had known each other since schooldays, and had been going out with each other for years, it is VERY unlikely that Bob would never have met Thelma's sister before.

Mind you I do hate being that pedantic.

Vicki Michelle ('Allo 'Allo) was also in one of the episodes. Where they are in a club I seem to remember.

As I think mentioned elsewhere Anita Carey was also in I Didn't Know You Cared.

Is anyone else watching this daily?

Quote: Guilbert @ 7th January 2016, 7:47 PM GMT

I do love that scene.

However it did occur to me recently that seeing as how Bob and Thelma had known each other since schooldays, and had been going out with each other for years, it is VERY unlikely that Bob would never have met Thelma's sister before.

Mind you I do hate being that pedantic.

She came over from Canada for the wedding, so Bob seemingly had never met her before.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th January 2016, 9:02 PM GMT

She came over from Canada for the wedding, so Bob seemingly had never met her before.

She'd been there for years but I think he recognised her when they said who she was. It would probably have been about 15 years earlier when they were at school together.

Don't remember that. :|

Apparently she appeared in 5 episodes.

By my calculations this episode should be on a fortnight today.

The Football Match - though a classic I have seen too many times should be on next Tuesday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whatever_Happened_to_the_Likely_Lads%3F

How did this sitcom get such long series made, or rather why?

I can only imagine C&L had a whole stack of already written episodes that the Beeb didn't have to wait for, so series one got an instant run of 13 eps. ? ?

But then that doesn't explain how they managed to write 13 eps for series 2 so quickly. Mind you, that wasn't half as good so maybe that's the reason. That and Porridge now taking their best material. Still a pretty astonishing feat imo, writing two of the best sitcoms ever with 48 episodes and one film in less than five years :S