Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads?

I'm a big fan of this none-more-1970s sitcom. 26 episodes over 2 series and a Christmas special of sour-faced northern wit. Magic!
My favourite episodes are 'No Hiding Place', where the lads go to extremes to avoid hearing the result of an England international match, and 'Guess Who's Coming To Dinner'. Anyone who thinks a 70s revival would be a good idea should watch this episode. The visual shock of the carpets, curtains and furniture all clashing with each other is truly jaw-dropping.

It is truly ace.

I'm going to refer to this thread for further post-age though: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/7843

People may be interested to know that unlike those on Gold, the repeats currently showing on BBC Four appear to be complete, uncut and unedited.

On right now.

Quote: Aaron @ April 25 2013, 12:15 PM BST

People may be interested to know that unlike those on Gold, the repeats currently showing on BBC Four appear to be complete, uncut and unedited.

That's a shame

I prefer it when they leave out all the gratuitous explicit sex scenes

Ha!
Although there were stripper's boobies in the first ep.

One of those cringingly embarrassing episodes! Loved it.

I watched the final/Christmas episode the other day. Bob cheating on Thelma? What a strange way of ending this show.

Yes, I found that very disturbing. Didn't see any humour in it at all. We were clearly supposed to be on his side, 'just a bit of harmless fun' and all that, but it just felt utterly out of place. The 70s really were a foreign land.

Quote: zooo @ 15th February 2014, 10:04 PM GMT

Yes, I found that very disturbing. Didn't see any humour in it at all. We were clearly supposed to be on his side, 'just a bit of harmless fun' and all that, but it just felt utterly out of place. The 70s really were a foreign land.

I thought it was a dream sequence or a prank, but no! There was no indication for this kind of behaviour by Bob before. And then this, at Christmas, with Thelma being in the same house.
As you say, not funny, very inappropriate.

I thought it was a classic ending. A bit sad of Terry going on a train.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 15th February 2014, 10:13 PM GMT

I thought it was a dream sequence or a prank, but no! There was no indication for this kind of behaviour by Bob before. And then this, at Christmas, with Thelma being in the same house.
As you say, not funny, very inappropriate.

I kept thinking it would be some clever double bluff, but no, he was just straight up cheating on her. Bizarre!

Maybe it was supposed to be disturbing, some kind of brave, unnerving ending to the series. But it certainly felt thoroughly odd.

Quote: Aaron @ 25th April 2013, 12:15 PM BST

So it seems James Bolam must have relented by giving his permission for the shows to be repeated as this was one of the things that he dug his heels in over refusing to allow them to be shown on network TV.
And this was all over something Rodney Bewes revealed about JB back in the 70s.

I went off James Bolam because of this as it seemed so petty and while he enjoyed success in many other TV series, RB suffered from the financial loss of repeats of Whatever Happened, not to mention the other actors that appeared in that series.

Selfish........and from what I can gather, all over something and nothing.

I've only watched the final episode of WHTTLL once before, but shall dig it out as I can't remember much about it. Sounds a strange way to end the series.

Bolam's and Bewes' falling out is rather unfortunate as I've read it was a misunderstanding on Bolam's part. Would love to see a one off episode featuring them as OAPS meeting up again.

Quote: Ben @ 16th February 2014, 10:58 AM GMT

I've only watched the final episode of WHTTLL once before, but shall dig it out as I can't remember much about it. Sounds a strange way to end the series.

Bolam's and Bewes' falling out is rather unfortunate as I've read it was a misunderstanding on Bolam's part. Would love to see a one off episode featuring them as OAPS meeting up again.

If it was a misunderstanding, then he should publicly apologise to RB (he won't of course - apparently he is quite arrogant and too big for his boots) as from interviews I have seen with RB over this, the poor man is distraught over the whole affair.

Not that it will ever happen (unless JB has a moment of revelation!) it certainly would be a fantastic one off!! What a great idea Ben!
:)