Beautiful People - Series 1 Page 4

I thought it was pretty bland and forgettable, and I can't see me tuning in for any more episodes. I didn't really like the fantasy bits either and think those kind of things have been handled better in American shows. Still, I guess it'll keep the gays happy.

I thought it was OK and will probably give it one more try, mostly because there's nothing else good on at the same time.

But as far as "I grew up at some point in the past with an embarassing family" sitcoms/comedy-dramas go, it was no The Grimleys.

I thought this was OK...though I preferred 'The Cup'. At least the idea was quite original, having someone reflect back on their life in the 90s. I think there was a thread a while ago about sitcoms being set in the past and how this meant that they could never become old. I'm also guessing there is going to be some twist later on? I don't want to be a killjoy but am I right in thinking that it was supposed to be set in 1997? At the end of the episode it showed Tony Blair arriving in downing street. Was the episode meant to be a specific week or was it just a recollection of thoughts from the past. This is the thing that I couldn't quite work out although his mum trying not to drink for a week lead me to believe that it was set over the course of a week. If this is the case though then I think there are a few, albeit minor, historical inaccuracies. Firstly 'Moving on up' by M People I think was released in 1993, though yes they were still around until the end of the 90s. Also it looks like they are watching Live & Kicking on the TV, but to me it looks like an episode from early in the 90s. I'm pretty sure that by 97 they had a different studio design. Yes maybe I am sad!

Quote: Johnny Green @ October 3 2008, 10:22 AM BST

I thought this was OK...though I preferred 'The Cup'.

It's sad that the last big BBC2 high-profile sitcoms - Lab Rats, The Cup and this - have been so dreary and uninspiring.

More importantly, who's the new Chipolata Avatar Girl? (a role surely as sought after as Bond Girl?)

Quote: Griff @ October 3 2008, 10:29 AM BST

More importantly, who's the new Chipolata Avatar Girl? (a role surely as sought after as Bond Girl?)

Tricia Helfer, the willowy blonde from Battlestar Galactica. The last season goes in some unexpected directions.

Oh I like her. Didn't recognise her with dark hair.

This didn't work for me. I found the whole "my family are so eccentric" thing a bit unoriginal and not very eccentric at all. Also it looked more like Shameless than Reading - but then absolutely no one sounded like they lived in Reading. They were mainly Londoners, which made the whole got to get out of Reading and live in London theme a bit useless. Overall found it was full of stereotypes and weak innuendo gags.

I loved it. One of only 2 recent BBC comedies of this year I have really got into (the other being Massive).

Quote: Mark @ September 13 2008, 11:24 PM BST

The cast includes talented people like Olivia Colman which is promising, but it is about young gay boys which could prove to be a bit too, um, 'issue filled' for a BBC2 sitcom? We'll have to wait and see how they present it I guess.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/beautiful_people/

Posner! I will have to find a way to watch this now, though it doesn't seem very highly recommended.

Well it is by me, Aaron and a few other people with taste. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 3 2008, 3:48 PM BST

This didn't work for me. I found the whole "my family are so eccentric" thing a bit unoriginal and not very eccentric at all.

Not very eccentric?!? They were all nutty. Either that, or I've lived a particularly very boring up-bringing compared to the rest of the country.

I know what you mean though, the 'we are wacky' message started to annoy me after a bit. Still, it was much for watchable than the other sitcoms that have been in the Thursday slot this year so I'll keep watching.

Quote: Griff @ October 2 2008, 11:51 PM BST

Was it

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a122329/minogue-sisters-duet-for-tv-theme-tune.html

The Sun/Digital Spy have got that slightly wrong... the Minogue Sisters' song features in episode four, it isn't the theme tune.

Quote: Mark @ October 3 2008, 7:48 PM BST

Not very eccentric?!? They were all nutty. Either that, or I've lived a particularly very boring up-bringing compared to the rest of the country.

Maybe you've been nicely sheltered ;)

The aunty was an awful pointless character (it seemed like she was there as a n excuse to crowbar blind jokes), the brassy mum who likes a drink was a dull stereotype, crazy dad with his homemade wine was like something out of a bad 70s sitcom and the chavvy sister was pretty 2-d too.

This show also included the dialogue;

"I'd like you to have a look at my gash. Sorry, I mean gaff..."

Perhaps one of the most lazy, rubbish jokes ever that would have got rejected from a bad Carry On script.

Well, the woman who said that wasn't supposed to be funny. She was supposed to be a slutty idiot.

Quote: zooo @ October 6 2008, 1:47 PM BST

Well, the woman who said that wasn't supposed to be funny. She was supposed to be a slutty idiot.

Lol. But the programme is supposed to be funny. That usually means that every and any character should have funny lines.