Beautiful People - Series 1 Page 11

Tim, do you mean that the whole gay/straight inner personal battle type thing would have worked better in the 1980s than the enlightened and open 1990s?

Quote: Aaron @ November 7 2008, 1:14 AM GMT

Tim, do you mean that the whole gay/straight inner personal battle type thing would have worked better in the 1980s than the enlightened and open 1990s?

That is partly it. To me, although the references are late 1990s, the characters feel more as though they began as late 1980s. As far as the gay personal struggle, (despite perhaps being true, that even 10 years ago things were more obvious) the situation doesn't quite ring true comedically.

This is one of the better comedies this year. The Inbetweeners is perhaps the best new sitcom. However, comedy has to reflect perception when it is historical, rather than simple fact.

I agree that I am perhaps being rather petty. I like the set-up. I just don't see why it didn't settle in the late 1980s rather than the late 1990s as its set-up. I'm an anal twat, it just niggles me, as that where the premise seems to make more sense and the characters sit more comfortably.

(Believe me, after 3 hours discussing such things, especially the back-story, to my sitcom, these things are thought about a lot. Perhaps I'm getting obsessed by it... a little.)

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 7 2008, 1:04 AM GMT

At 35 I don't think I'm senile quite yet. :)

So that would mean you're almost exactly the same age as the Simon character. No wonder then that the 80s have more resonance for you.
I agree that 'Beautiful People' would have still worked if it had been set in the 80s, I just don't see how it would have been an improvement. :)

Isn't Beautiful People semi autobiographical? If that's true then, although the 80's would have made more sense to you, I doubt they would have to the writer!

Since this is based on a memoir, has all the material been used up in this first series?

Quote: Afinkawan @ November 7 2008, 10:30 AM GMT

Isn't Beautiful People semi autobiographical? If that's true then, although the 80's would have made more sense to you, I doubt they would have to the writer!

It was semi-autobiographical, so that why its set when it was. This sitcom wasn't 'my cup of tea' but didn't offend me with flaws like some others have.

Quote: Afinkawan @ November 7 2008, 10:30 AM GMT

The creator of the show was born in 1953. The writer was born in 1968. So, um, neither would have made sense like that.

The real Doonan didn't work at Barney's until '86, by which time he was 33, not 23, so most of the story would have taken place in the '66!

Ah... I sit corrected.

Not that it makes a blind bit of difference to it being a very entertaining series, of course. :)

This has just been recommissioned. A second series to follow late this year or early next.

Hurray!

(Hope it has the same two kids in it.)

Quote: zooo @ February 11 2009, 2:43 PM GMT

Boo! I didn't like this at all!

Whistling nnocently

*flicks Stott with a wet towel*

Quote: Mark @ February 11 2009, 2:41 PM GMT

This has just been recommissioned. A second series to follow late this year or early next.

Christ. Why do they keep recomissioning bilge yet ignore Pulling? The BBC's a joke.