Worst Week USA

There is a new sitcom starting soon called Worst Week here in the US. I can only assume that it is a copy of the wonderfully funny The Worst Week Of My Life with the sweet Sarah Alexander.

I love the original. Be interested to see the US version.

Yeeees, I do believe that there was a US version being produced. Sounds entirely possible.

Is it a shortened run? Or a full twenty-two week run? If it's the latter, I'll be interested to see how they stretch the concept over such a long period.

Should do a 24-week run. The Worst Day Of My Life. Like 24, but with jokes.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ August 27 2008, 2:02 PM BST

Should do a 24-week run. The Worst Day Of My Life. Like 24, but with jokes.

Didn't they plan to do the third season of Arrested Development as a sort of 24 with jokes? But nothing came of it.

Quote: Griff @ August 27 2008, 2:06 PM BST

Little-known fact*: the guys who came up with the real-time 24 concept originally planned to use it for a series about a wedding.

Can you imagine the successive notes coming back from the network?

"We love this. It'd be great if the groom was a CIA special agent." etc, etc.

Laughing out loud

This American version of Worst Week (starting 22nd Sept over there) is being tipped by the press as the best new sitcom in their fall season. Here is one such review...

It's not like the concept of this show, adapted from a British version, is anything new: A young man is having a tough time impressing his soon-to-be in-laws. Yet plenty of slapstick, tempered by star Kyle Bornheimer's sweetness, makes 'Worst Week' the comedy to watch this fall. CBS has faith in it as well, planting it right behind ratings powerhouse 'Two and a Half Men' at 9:30 on Mondays.

As Sam Briggs, Bornheimer can't help but making a bad situation worse, and adorable fiancee Melanie (Erinn Hayes) has his back at all times, even while her parents (sitcom vets Nancy Lenehan and Kurtwood Smith, aka Earl and Randy Hickey's mom and Eric Forman's dad) are wondering why she's marrying this buffoon.

Love conquers all, of course, but if Bornheimer gets into as much self-induced chicanery in the following episodes as he does in the pilot, Hayes might start second-guessing herself.

One to watch? Absolutely. Even if watching live, it might be best to record on TiVo to catch the jokes missed because of laughing too hard.

Kick ass thanks for the review Marc. I can't wait for new Fall lineup to start! I'm tempted to purchase a PVR just so I won't miss any of the new shows. PLUS all the great shows that are making their post-strike comebacks.
I remember reading right before the strike how the staff of The Office thought their next few episodes (which never aired) were the funniest yet.
This should be a good new year for comedy!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38428

The worst week was awesome.

Just watched it and didn't like it at all. The US version that is. Haven't seen the UK version.

Worst Week USA was terrible. Not one joke worked for me. They did the bit about the painting getting burned and it just fell flat. The whole face was getting smeared with soot instead of just under the nose. That review posted above was a lie, a damned lie I tell ya!

Quote: dingo @ September 23 2008, 9:07 PM BST

Worst Week USA was terrible. Not one joke worked for me. They did the bit about the painting getting burned and it just fell flat. The whole face was getting smeared with soot instead of just under the nose. That review posted above was a lie, a damned lie I tell ya!

Is the UK version any different? Is it worth my finding?
Because like you said the US version stunk!