The Cup

Anybody seen this yet? It's had some absolutely terrible previews, even worse than Lab Rats. Suprising considering the writers. Wouldn't it be ironic if the worst comedy on Thursday night had nothing at all to do with Seefacts?

Please, I don't think I can take another rubbish comedy.

It does look shit from the previews, but it's by a couple of the people from 'Absolutely', so I'll certainly give it a go.

Even Boyd Hilton didn't rate it on Front Row, and he usually likes any old pap.

I've written a pilot for a Sunday league football team sitcom. I can't decide whether it's better for me if this is a miserable failure, or if it's a hilarious, though heartstring-tugging, laughfest.

I suspect it will make no difference, if I'm honest.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ August 20 2008, 3:43 PM BST

I've written a pilot for a Sunday league football team sitcom. I can't decide whether it's better for me if this is a miserable failure, or if it's a hilarious, though heartstring-tugging, laughfest.

I had a similar predicament before Lab Rats. A sitcom about scientists. I'm still not sure whether Lab Rats has killed that genre, or paved the way for somebody to come up with a proper comedy on the subject.

Graham, chip, does it matter? In submitting a pilot or script sample, you should think of it more as an example and indicator of your work than locking you into that particular setting. If you have any talent, then that will show through and you'll be given a chance somewhere, regardless of your chosen sample's setting having been monopolised or killed.

No?

It's a good point Aaron. Your actual premise might be dead (as sadly commissioners are indeed alergic to greenlighting similar sitcoms - even John Sullivan and the like have fallen foul of this situation), however if your script is good, it's good.

Plus, your characters should be robust and well-rounded enough to be able to be transported into a different location anyway.

Anyway, The Cup... the whole mockumentary thing is very hard to pull off so it's brave of them to try. If it does turn out a bit rubbish though, I won't be that surprised.

This is something I should've done first having run a kids team for year (No - that isdn't the reason!).

If it's an Absolutlely thing then it should be worthwhile.

We've had Playing the Field about women's football, Playing for Real about Subbuteo and now this.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ August 20 2008, 3:43 PM BST

I have one in mind for this though. Shall we pool our resources?

Quote: David Chapman @ August 20 2008, 7:49 PM BST

This is something I should've done first having run a kids team for year (No - that isdn't the reason!).

If it's an Absolutlely thing then it should be worthwhile.

We've had Playing the Field about women's football, Playing for Real about Subbuteo and now this.

I have one in mind for this though. Shall we pool our resources?

PM'ed, Chappers.

Bizarrely, Teletext have given this a really positive preview, saying it's "very funny." So maybe it's not as crap as I fear. Also, is that women in the picture on your intro screen the sexy slapper from Pulling?

Shouldn't there be an "I hate it when Brits ripoff Canadian shows" thread about this?

To be fair, it is an official adaptation.

Sorry, just so accustomed to the whole "the US steals from the UK" bit, though they are also adaptations. I just wanted to point out that the UK does in fact redo foreign shows for a Brit audience.

For some reason you guys are going to see a UK Dharma and Greg.

Is the Canadian original any good?