The Cup Page 3

Quote: Timbo @ August 21 2008, 11:12 PM BST

To be honest though I think I have seen enough mockumentaries to last me a life time.

Quote: Timbo @ August 21 2008, 11:12 PM BST

To be honest though I think I have seen enough mockumentaries to last me a life time.

Have there been that many? Operation Good Guys, The Office and...?

The Cup wasn't as good as those two. I might tune in again, but who knows.

People Like Us, I think was one?

And in all honesty, the two you suggested are two too many. :)

Whenever I see new British comedy I feel I'm going back in time. I find the humour so laboured. America came up with shows that pushed on and made things quicker and snappier and then we come back to this.

The Simpsons will make a joke and push on, and if you've not caught it, tough. But shows like this, they telegraph supposed jokes like the camera lingering on the funeral director putting his card on the head coach. And 'he's very sensitive or whatever'. Cut to him being the exact opposite.

It's not good writing. It's really ordinary. Where's the wit and clever wordplay? It's not something that's going to make you sit up and take note. It's just something else to watch while channel hopping

Rolling eyes

I liked it and think it has alot of potential. There is one big coincidence though that I'm surprised nobody has noticed. This football team is called Ashfield United. In 1973 in the 'Seven Of One' series (a series of pilots starring Ronnie Barker which bought us Porridge and Open all Hours) one of the episodes, called Spanners Eleven by Roy Clarke, was about a badly failing football team called Ashfield Athletic - so what is this Ashfield thing. Anyway, I've always said it was a shame the Barker pilot was never made into a series. Hopefully it will remain as enjoyable. I loved it when he kept bribing people with four packs of beers, to which he had taken one out.

I thought this was rather good, although it is boring.

I think I am with most people around here. It has the potential to be something good, and I would be willing to watch next week's episode. I'm guessing that this week's episode was meant to be an introduction to the characters, which appears to this show's strength. I did like the coach character. He seems to the archetype of every school sporting coach there is (i.e., terrifying).

Oh, my giddy aunt! I really would have expected a lot better from the Absolutely boys, regardless of source material.

This was was so unremittingly poor I'm surprised it wasn't on BBC3.

And this bearing in mind that I was one of the few people who actually enjoyed Lab Rats.

Just a mundane half hour of character introductions. That really was it. I don't buy the notion that a first episode can somehow be less competent than the rest of a series. Look at the first episodes of Steptoe or Frasier or Fawlty Towers.

The whole aspect of the role reversal of adults behaving as children was done more effectively in Ab Fab.

By contrast, the School of Comedy show that Seefacts worked on, actually had some funny stuff in it and tested in front of an audience. As I've written before, the worst examples of the one camera/filmed show have a tendency to be extremely indulgent, relying more on atmosphere than jokes.

The Cup might improve but I can't think how.

I happened to catch this by accident last night. I had seen the trailers and wasn't that impressed and had forgotten all about it until it came on the TV, so I just sat and watched it.

I thought it was really good. I got into the characters and I thought the jokes that came from them were pretty decent. I will definitely watch next week's episode.

Def.

Neither fish nor foul, and no real laughs either. Poor. It won't get a second series.

Watched the first few minutes and was bored. Why were there no laughs in the first few pages of the script? Maybe it picked up later. One thing that does annoy me, is that I had a mockmentary script at a production company, only to be told, after months of development, that they now thought mockumentary was too tired and channels wouldn't go for it. Three weeks later, we have a mockumentary on. No one knows anything, do they? Bum. Though someone else has it now. The mockumentary angle doesn't seem to bother them, in fact they haven't even mentioned it. I hate the word mockumentary. Mockumentary.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 22 2008, 12:33 AM BST

I liked it and think it has alot of potential. There is one big coincidence though that I'm surprised nobody has noticed. This football team is called Ashfield United. In 1973 in the 'Seven Of One' series (a series of pilots starring Ronnie Barker which bought us Porridge and Open all Hours) one of the episodes, called Spanners Eleven by Roy Clarke, was about a badly failing football team called Ashfield Athletic - so what is this Ashfield thing. Anyway, I've always said it was a shame the Barker pilot was never made into a series. Hopefully it will remain as enjoyable. I loved it when he kept bribing people with four packs of beers, to which he had taken one out.

Yeah, I'd have thought more people would have noticed a vague similarity between this and a 35 year old pilot.

I quite liked it.

Enjoyed the first episode, Steve Edge is very good as usual, looking forward to next episode :)

I enjoyed this. Its well-written with good characters and given that it was the first episode (therefore a lot of explaining and introducing) it bodes well for the rest of the series.

I don't think it will be in The Office or People Like Us class but I'm glad to see this type of comedy back. After all, documentaries have become more prominent in recent years so mockumentries are only reflecting that.

There has been a lot of experimenting with new original comedy that has just been shit so I'm pleased to see a recent art-form return.

Enjoyed this also. Better than I was expecting.