Very clever. Not funny

On another BSGers advice I recently watched Stephen Moffat's 'Joking Apart'.

While the writing was enviously clever in terms of plotting and originality, I realised afterwards that I hadn't laughed once. I acknowledge that this was partly the fault of poor/odious performances, bad staging and a soundtrack that made me want to give my TV a Glasgow kiss but the real problem, I think, is this:

It's very clever but not at all funny.

So in a sense it played out like a farcical drama where nothing seemed real and everyone behaved like idiots.

Can anyone else think of a sitcom that, while meticulously structured, fails to raise a smile?

Heretic! ;)

Wouldn't every farce (which basically every episode of Joking Apart is) have to be meticulously structured by definition in order for everything to come together at the end? i.e. Worst Week of My Life.

Coupling (also by Moffat) is pretty meticulously structured too, but is very funny also. How each episode is stylistically different again probably requires meticulous planning and structure.

So, what you're saying is: Moffat should stick to Dr Who from now on?

:)

Dan

I understand what you're getting at, but don't you think something's terribly the matter when a comedy only makes you brain laugh?

The episode in which the Robert Bathurst character hides under his ex-wife's bed furnished me with one of the biggest laughs I've ever had. But it was by no means a laugh-fest throughout.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ August 19 2008, 10:28 AM BST

The episode in which the Robert Bathurst character hides under his ex-wife's bed furnished me with one of the biggest laughs I've ever had. But it was by no means a laugh-fest throughout.

Ah, now I've only watched 4 of 6 episodes. Presumably that's in one of the last 2. I'll look out for it.

But I think Joking Apart *is* funny.

I quite like the clever stuff (surely you've noticed ;) ), the whole 'puzzle' of writing sitcom so it all ties up and is funny all at once. It's why sitcom appeals to me more than sketches.

Hang on, is this about my sitcom with no jokes??? :)

Quote: David Bussell @ August 19 2008, 10:30 AM BST

Ah, now I've only watched 4 of 6 episodes. Presumably that's in one of the last 2. I'll look out for it.

It's series 2 episode 1. The last episode of series 1 is the best episode by far.

But it is a complete farce, so be warned.

Dan

Oi Dan, hush, it's not purely about Moffat!

On the original question, how are we defining 'meticulously structured'? Lab Rats was meticulously structured in as far as it was crammed with good gags, had some reasonable characters, a good premise and - given the setting - alright story lines. But it just didn't work at all. Do we mean that every last intricate detail - a la Coupling - is tightly plotted from every viewpoint?

(BTW David, I recently watched series 1 of Joking Apart and no more than raised a smile.)

Quote: Aaron @ August 19 2008, 10:39 AM BST

Oi Dan, hush, it's not purely about Moffat!

It is! It is! *Everything* is about Moffat!

Oh no, hang on, you're right.

It's not.

Sorry.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ August 19 2008, 10:32 AM BST

It's series 2 episode 1. The last episode of series 1 is the best episode by far.

But it is a complete farce, so be warned.

Silly me, I didn't realise there were two series.

To be clear though, I have nothing against farce. I'm a huge Frasier fan and they love a bit of it. The ski lodge episode is one of my favourites - it's a spectacular comedy of errors.

The difference I think between Frasier and Joking Apart is that the writers behind Frasier remembered to make the jokes funny. Also, the characters are likeable and the performances top notch (except when any of Daphne's family are involved).

Quote: Aaron @ August 19 2008, 10:39 AM BST

On the original question, how are we defining 'meticulously structured'? Lab Rats was meticulously structured in as far as it was crammed with good gags, had some reasonable characters, a good premise and - given the setting - alright story lines. But it just didn't work at all. Do we mean that every last intricate detail - a la Coupling - is tightly plotted from every viewpoint?

When I talked about plotting, yes, I was talking about intricate detail - the "puzzle" aspect that Dan mentions. That's what I'm envious of. If you can combine that with the funny, the world is yours for the taking.

Quote: swerytd @ August 19 2008, 10:32 AM BST

Hang on, is this about my sitcom with no jokes??? :)

Which one, Dan, I've read so many. :P

Quote: Griff @ August 19 2008, 10:41 AM BST

I love the idea of brain laughing. Next time I'm watching an audience staring like mummified corpses at my hilarious comedy I will say to myself "it's OK Griff they are brain laughing".

Laughing out loud

Quote: David Bussell @ August 19 2008, 11:02 AM BST

The difference I think between Frasier and Joking Apart is that ... the characters are likeable and the performances top notch.

That's a good point. The wife in Joking Apart is a cheating bitch, thingy is a dick, and the friends are thicker than pigshit. Not the best combo.

Which one, Dan, I've read so many. :P

Touché...

Dan

To be clear though, I have nothing against farce. I'm a huge Frasier fan and they love a bit of it. The ski lodge episode is one of my favourites - it's a spectacular comedy of errors.

The beauty of Frasier is that the characters drive the farce, rather than the other way round. It's the same with Curb Your Enthusiasm and Fawlty Towers.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ August 19 2008, 11:25 AM BST

The beauty of Frasier is that the characters drive the farce, rather than the other way round. It's the same with Curb Your Enthusiasm and Fawlty Towers.

Very true.

I found a lot of the farce quite forced in Joking Apart (forced farce, hmmmm). Sure, there's some good comedy involving handcuffs, but why is he picking up her knickers in the first place?

Firstly, on the subject of Joking Apart you're talking out of your arse, Bussell. In my opinion, at least, it's a very funny show and made me laugh out loud quite a lot.

To answer the original point, I'd plump for Absolute Power. Sharp, intelligent scripts and a stellar cast. I enjoyed the show a lot, thought it was clever, but never really laughed much when it was on.

Quote: Griff @ August 20 2008, 11:02 AM BST

I'd put Rory Bremner in this category. His impressions are uncanny and his topical comedy is incredibly sharp and perceptive, but I do find myself going "oh yes that's interesting" while stroking my chin rather than spitting out my beer with hilarity. Although to be fair as the relative importance of beer and comedy shifts with each passing year, it has to be pretty good comedy for me to waste beer on it these days.

Holde the front page, I agree with you on this Griff.