Not Going Out - Series 3 Page 33

That was probably my least favourite episode of this series but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

Quote: Seefacts @ February 20 2009, 11:46 PM GMT

And, nicked from another forum: Only two sets again. Wonder why?

Probably because the script didn't call for any others.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ February 20 2009, 11:53 PM GMT

I think they have to make Lee less obsessive and stalker-ish because he just comes across as a sleaze.

Totally disagree. To me, it comes across that he genuinely cares for her - almost certainly is in love with her - but doesn't know how to say it, and so consequently the slightly immature (well, perhaps 'less-serious' is more apt for what I'm trying to describe than 'immature') side of him takes over with such an over-protective nature.

Stalker? Sleaze? Sweet.

Oh, and another great episode. Plenty of good gags, and can't wait to watch the repeat. :)

Quote: Aaron @ February 21 2009, 12:19 AM GMT

Probably because the script didn't call for any others.

Possibly cost as well. When you write a script you do have to take things like that into account at times. Or it could be as you say.

Totally disagree. To me, it comes across that he genuinely cares for her - almost certainly is in love with her - but doesn't know how to say it, and so consequently the slightly immature (well, perhaps 'less-serious' is more apt for what I'm trying to describe than 'immature') side of him takes over with such an over-protective nature.

But how is trying to make sure she doesn't have a boyfriend protective or even over-protective? Yeah at the end he was being protective, but earlier in the show he was just trying to stop her having a boyfriend by looking through her phone! That is stalker-ish!

The the week before he was trying to stop her getting together with a lesbian.

Fair enough he likes her, I just think if they want us to buy this 'relationship' more they should have Lee look less like the creepy 40 year old lodger. :D

I must admit I also find Lee's behaviour weird.
He is bordering on licentious!
From a comedy perspective it is extremely positive but in relation to him having relations with Lucy I just can't see any hope of success, seeing as she quite reasonably shows obvious disgust at certain aspects of his behaviour.
Unless it is an absolute case of opposites attract.
But as long as it remains so laughter inducing I shall not worry too much about it.

Unrequited love is a staple of sitcoms.
The relationship can never happen, but Lee needs to have something to strive for.

Yes I know that Niles got Daphne in the end, but that's probably the exception that proves the rule.

I can't decide whether I like this show or not? Sometimes it's funny but most of the times it's not. I like all the performers, but something doesn't gel right with me.

I'll still watch the odd episode, but it's nothing I wouldn't miss.

Decided to give it a look on iPlayer after shunning on telly for a long time. The reason it doesn't work is because in a lot of the jokes the main character tries to be funny. As do the others occasionally. What's good about that? No one should ever try to be witty or amusing in a sitcom.

I thought that this episode was really poor compared to the previous two. The plot was pretty weak and, despite the number of writers, the jokes were mostly lazy and unfunny.

Hopefully it was just a blip though and things pick up again next week.

Quote: Stuart Doherty @ February 21 2009, 3:29 AM GMT

The reason it doesn't work is because in a lot of the jokes the main character tries to be funny. As do the others occasionally. What's good about that? No one should ever try to be witty or amusing in a sitcom.

What, you mean like Del Boy... or Jim Royle (who laughs at his own jokes)... or Boycie in The Green Green Grass (who laughs at his own jokes).

Why are people saying, "the reason this doesn't work"...? It works for me. And plenty of other people by the sounds of things. Cool

Quote: Rustle T Davis @ February 14 2009, 4:54 PM GMT

I'm 'really' looking forward to next week's... not only so I can listen for my own voice laughing :D but because there is one absolute 'classic' moment that I know everyone will be talking about next week. Whistling nnocently

So what was the classic moment? Last night's was good but IMHO not a classic?

Stalker? Sleaze? Sweet.

That's how I saw it too. I agree that at the beginning going through the phone is a bit creepy, but this is mainly down to the advice of the cleaner. By the end though I was actually really cheering Lee on. His reasons for chucking the chocolate fountain on Robin were because he was being protective (Robin being the sleaze), not because he wanted Lucy for himself. I think it was quite sweet when he was staring across the room throughout the party.

Not the best episode, but still very enjoyable.

Agree, the weakest of this series. Put still pretty good.

I disagree with the fact that people shouldn't "try" to be witty in sitcoms - after all that's how people are in real life.

Quote: Stuart Doherty @ February 21 2009, 3:29 AM GMT

The reason it doesn't work is because in a lot of the jokes the main character tries to be funny.

Good job you pointed that out, all those fools enjoying it must feel pretty silly now. I think you mean the reason it doesn't work FOR YOU.

Quote: bigfella @ February 21 2009, 10:46 AM GMT

I disagree with the fact that people shouldn't "try" to be witty in sitcoms -

Chandler was always telling jokes and was very funny. Until he got with Monica of course and became a big pile of nothing.

The thing about the very good episodes is they make the good episodes seem worse than they really are. Last night's episode was fun, but as already pointed out, it wasn't up to the standard of the previous weeks. I think that's mainly to do the quality of the previous weeks episodes than last night's though. Also, who was on open door watch last night? I have to admit I didn't really notice much last night.