The Olympics Page 89

Quote: Kenneth @ August 9 2012, 3:31 PM BST

Much like how Jews were permitted to avoid fasting during the Yom Kippur War.

Eh? I thought that was when they were allowed to eat fish on Fridays?

Oh no.. my mistake. That was the Yom Kipper war.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ August 9 2012, 3:58 PM BST

Eh? I thought that was when they were allowed to eat fish on Fridays?

Oh no.. my mistake. That was the Yom Kipper war.

Or the Yum Kippers! war?

Quote: Kenneth @ August 9 2012, 2:12 PM BST

Fortunately the Chinese in general do not give a f**k about racism from the West, partly due to having been brainwashed that the Brits, Americans and Japanese are all villains.

Not the Aussies too?
After all, villiany was it's chief import just over 200 years ago.....

Quote: Brian Bickerstaffe @ August 9 2012, 5:31 PM BST

Not the Aussies too?
After all, villiany was it's chief import just over 200 years ago.....

The Aussies did their share of anti-Sino villainy, mainly during the gold rush of the 1850s-60s (when jealous white miners attacked the more frugal and successful Chinese miners). Most Chinese today know nothing of that. Australia is generally looked on by the Chinese as harmless, and most Chinese would not be able to point out Australia on a world map. Neither would they be able to locate England or the USA. However, ever since the Opium Wars (and later the Boxer Rebellion), generations of Chinese have been taught that the English were meddling exploiters, bringing drugs, raping women and plundering wealth. Dislike of the Americans has also been strong, especially since the Korean War and then the Vietnam War, and now the US is hated for being a warlike global cop. And the Japanese are perhaps the most hated of all because of a longer history of hostilities and atrocities. And most Chinese probably can find Japan on a map.

As for the Olympic medal tally, the Chinese are pretty aware of who America is, but many have trouble recognizing the country represented by the Union Jack. "Is that London?" "Actually, that's England." "Oh, England is not as bad as America."

Quote: Kenneth @ August 9 2012, 6:47 PM BST

The Aussies did their share of anti-Sino villainy, mainly during the gold rush of the 1850s-60s (when jealous white miners attacked the more frugal and successful Chinese miners). Most Chinese today know nothing of that. Australia is generally been looked on by the Chinese as harmless, and most Chinese would not be able to point out Australia on a world map. Neither would they be able to locate England or the USA. However, ever since the Opium Wars (and later the Boxer Rebellion), generations of Chinese have been taught that the English were meddling exploiters, bringing drugs, raping women and plundering wealth. Dislike of the Americans has also been strong, especially since the Korean War and then the Vietnam War, and now the US is hated for being a warlike global cop. And the Japanese are perhaps the most hated of all because of a longer history of hostilities and atrocities. And most Chinese probably can find Japan on a map.

As for the Olympic medal tally, the Chinese are pretty aware of who America is, but many have trouble recognizing the country represented by the Union Jack. "Is that London?" "Actually, that's England." "Oh, England is not as bad as America."

Quite.
Most Americans probably couldn't point out America on a world map. Come to think of it they probably couldn't point the world out on a world map.

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/19202411

It's just so gross. Sick

That happened at the last Olympics (I think) with an American girl gymnast.

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 9 2012, 9:11 PM BST

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/19202411

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/olympicsnow/la-sp-on-manteo-mitchell-20120809,0,4857744.story

A broken fibula, that's the smaller of the two long bones on the lower half of the leg. Difficult to know if it is physically possible to run if it was fractured right across & separated, but I expect it was a deep crack rather than a full break. Maybe we will find out later.

What's gross about it? It's a great story. He ran through the pain barrier to get his teamies through. Or thru. The details of the injury or ailment are almost immaterial. If he had man-flu or toothache it would have been just as good. Well done, that American bloke!

What's gross about someone running on a broken leg?
What a silly question.

Of course it's brilliant as well, that goes without saying! But it's very much gross too.

Not at all gross. Do you think his leg was hanging off or something? He didn't complete his run because he couldn't, he completed it because he could. When was his broken leg diagnosed, for example? How severe is the break? To say it is gross without a full medical diagnosis is surely a bit naive. I think he's done very well though.

You've got to be a bit of a hero to do that in my book.

Well, people do sport every week with broken bones of sorts. I'm praising the geezer, I just suspect that it wouldn't have got half as much grossness if he'd tweaked a hamstring. And he wouldn't have been able to run his time with a tweaked hamstring.

I am actually really enjoying the Olympics, but am getting increasingly annoyed when female competitors are praised by being called "as good as the male athletes!".

Yeah, I agree, they're not are they.

SIGH