The Kevin Bishop Show - Series 1 Page 10

Quote: Aaron @ August 5 2008, 6:53 PM BST

Managed five minutes of Broken News. Not remotely funny. Give me Spaced any day.

That gave me a warm glow inside.

Even though I know it was a mahoosive backhanded compliment.

:D

Quote: Finck @ August 5 2008, 10:10 AM BST

Surprisingly, the bored channel hopper idea seems to come from Germany.

There's a show called "Switch" from 1997, that is pretty much identical to the Kevin Bishop Show (from what I've seen on youtube), and "Kalkofes Mattscheibe", which started in 1994 and is now in its 8th series.

That's interesting - are there any other shows on in Germany that are in a format that hasn't reached Britain yet?

It'd be a good way to pick up an 'original' idea.

Woah, woah, German ideas don't exactly have the best pedigree, Simon. Be careful. ;)

Quote: Simon Stratton @ August 6 2008, 10:22 AM BST

That's interesting - are there any other shows on in Germany that are in a format that hasn't reached Britain yet?

It'd be a good way to pick up an 'original' idea.

My favourite show is unscripted, so I guess that wouldn't be the ideal format for a comedy writer to cop.. pick up.

There was a very good comedy drama two years ago about a hippie psychologist mother of two teenage children who moves in with a Turkish-German police officer who himself has a chav but handsome son and a radical muslim daughter. It's called Türkisch für Anfänger (Turkish for Beginners).

I've found a version with English subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax8OuPrYmyk

That sounds like about the wackiest collection of character bios I have ever heard.

Quote: Aaron @ August 6 2008, 11:04 AM BST

That sounds like about the wackiest collection of character bios I have ever heard.

They also have a Nazi grandpa who only gets along with the muslim daughter.

It's the first good thing on German television in a long time...

LOL. Ok. I'm sold. I'll check out some of the video in a bit. And I don't "do" YouTube, so that's quite the compliment.

Quote: Aaron @ August 6 2008, 11:13 AM BST

LOL. Ok. I'm sold. I'll check out some of the video in a bit. And I don't "do" YouTube, so that's quite the compliment.

Oh no! You're bound to be disappointed. It's good by German TV standards.

Also, the translation is a bit hit and miss.

This is very good. Half way through the second part. Lena is impossibly cute. But any idea what a "holidaycard" is?

Quote: Aaron @ August 6 2008, 11:55 AM BST

This is very good. Half way through the second part. Lena is impossibly cute. But any idea what a "holidaycard" is?

It's like a bonus card that children can buy for the summer holiday in order to get discounts on all sorts of things (the zoo, cinema, outdoor and sports stuff) and to go to special events.

If you like Lena: There are some unlikely love triangles coming up.

Ahhh, ok. I see. I'm trying to find somewhere I can properly download the show though. I hate watching stuff on YouTube. It's so awkward.

This should probably be in its own thread now. I'll leave you to do the honours. Back to Kevin Bishop!

Second episode was stronger than the first. Fact.

Quote: Aaron @ August 6 2008, 12:09 PM BST

This should probably be in its own thread now. I'll leave you to do the honours. Back to Kevin Bishop!
Second episode was stronger than the first. Fact.

It is done. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/8571

Kevin Bishop: I can only watch it on YouTube and it seems as if a large chunk of its appeal comes from the fast pace and from the arrangement of the sketches in the line-up. I didn't find them that funny, when watching them separately.

If this made Aaron reverse his views on foreign comedy I'm definitely watching this! Cheers Finck. :)

What opinions on foreign comedy? :S