The Prisoner Page 8

I've read some pretty good reviews of this, the latest in The Guardian. Which means I might have to give it another go when it comes out on DVD.

Quote: Chappers @ April 24 2010, 9:41 PM BST

I just hope it doesn't go on and on.

Nah, only 6 episodes. Ep 2 was a lil bit better.

Quote: chipolata @ April 26 2010, 12:14 PM BST

I've read some pretty good reviews of this, the latest in The Guardian. Which means I might have to give it another go when it comes out on DVD.

They gave Tony and Gordon good reviews though.

Quote: sootyj @ April 26 2010, 1:24 PM BST

They gave Tony and Gordon good reviews though.

Those guys weren't so bad. Better them than Thatcher.

I'm just re-watching The Prisoner and, for me, it's an enjoyable experience because it is just so typical of 1967 - arguably the greatest year of the 20th century or of any other century.

Having said that, I'm not sure what a relatively young person in 2019 would make of it.

They'd probably say it was the biggest load of bollocks they'd ever seen.

I can sympathise entirely with that opinion from a youngster but, as has often been said, in order to appreciate it you really had to be there.

I just hope they don't try to do a remake of it. It is of its time and can't be improved on.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st August 2019, 8:42 PM

...................... because it is just so typical of 1967 - arguably the greatest year of the 20th century or of any other century.

Hmmm, that's very interesting - why do you say that? I was married in 1966 and don't remember anything mega happening the following year. In fact, for reasons I cannot go into here, '67 started out a shit year for me and my wife and then dramatically improved; but outside of that it was unmemorable.

1967 wasn't so much about world events as it was about a state of mind: it was all about the spirit of the times and much of that spirit was expressed in the music of that year.

All You Need is Love, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Hello Goodbye, I'm a Believer, A Whiter Shade of Pale, Waterloo Sunset, Massachusetts, Itchycoo Park and, of course, If You're Going to San Francisco - a song that symbolised the summer of love in which 100,000 hippies, flower children or call them what you will, gathered together in that Californian city to celebrate the sheer joy of goodwill to mankind.

The Prisoner was, for many, a big part of the psychedelic atmosphere of that year.

It was a unique year and for those that "get it", The Prisoner was a unique drama series.

Whether you're talking about the year of 1967 or the drama series we call The Prisoner, I'm pretty sure there'll never be another one quite like it.

Quote: Chappers @ 1st August 2019, 10:10 PM

I just hope they don't try to do a remake of it. It is of its time and can't be improved on.

They've already done a remake, with Ian McKellan and that guy who was Jesus. It wasn't great, but it too was of its time.

Although having watched the Prisoner now, they're are about six great episodes and the rest are a bit rubbish. Enjoyable rubbish, mind.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 2nd August 2019, 12:55 AM

1967 wasn't so much about world events as it was about a state of mind: it was all about the spirit of the times and much of that spirit was expressed in the music of that year.

It was the 60s man. Cool Like they say if you remember it, you weren't there. (bollocks) :D I see your point, but the year that sticks out in my mind was 1963 when The Beatles truly exploded onto the scene and changed everything. Yes, any year after that was momentous.

This is my dolly bird (now wife) in that very year with me sporting my Beatles jacket, but retaining me yet to be changed greaser haircut. The bike had gone and I had my first car, a Ford Mk1 Consul and never looked back....................

Make no wonder you wed her... you were punching.
Get her down the aisle quick.

Great photo Herc

Thank you Stephen (sigh) if only................

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd August 2019, 9:14 AM

You silly twisted boy!

Quote: Chappers @ 24th April 2010, 9:41 PM

I'm actually quite enjoying this.

It can't be the same as the original but does have a "Lost"/"Twin Peaks" feel.

I just hope it doesn't go on and on.

I really don't remember this at all. Yes - I know....

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd August 2019, 11:23 PM

I really don't remember this at all.

Laughing out loud