Miscast main characters

I never really took to Eric Sykes (for those who can remember him) as a character in most of his sitcom offerings. To me, he was a really excellent writer but not much of a hit as an actor or character.

I could mention others.

Does anyone else have a favourite target in that respect?

I felt that he was excellently suited for the part in Sykes, so interesting to hear! Anyhoo.

I know a lot of people cast doubts over Nicholas Lyndhurst as a working class builder/decorator/DIY/odd job-type in After You've Gone, and I wasn't sure at first, but I think he's carried the role off really well.

Someone I've never really taken to myself was Barry Evans. More than capable, but particularly in Mind Your Language, there's just something that I don't quite "get" with him. Having said that, I haven't a clue who would have been better for the role.

I thought Eric Sykes was brilliant in Sykes. given that it was one of the longest running sitcoms ever, other people must have agreed.

It took me a while to get used to Richard Briers in Ever Decreasing Circles.

I'm wary of contributing to Jolanta threads because he/she does tend to verbally abuse anybody she/he disagrees with. But I'd put Johnny Vaughn in Orrible. It wasn't that bad a sitcom, but Johnny Vaugn in a wig in the lead was a mistake.

Quote: Aaron @ July 23 2008, 10:49 AM BST

I know a lot of people cast doubts over Nicholas Lyndhurst as a working class builder/decorator/DIY/odd job-type in After You've Gone, and I wasn't sure at first, but I think he's carried the role off really well.

What, really? It's not like he's never played working class before.

Chris Addison in Lab Rats. Lightweight and out of his depth.

Eric Sykes was brilliant in Sykes. Thought Barry Evans was great in 'Doctor in the House' and better in 'Doctor at Large' And totally disagree with you Griff when it comes to MBB. Messrs Morrisey Quentin and Ash put in great performances.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ July 23 2008, 10:58 AM BST

What, really? It's not like he's never played working class before.

Indeed.

He played the scruffy Rodney really well. But yes, Nicholas Lyndhurst is a very middle-class sitcom dad.

Yeah, I should have said that he was somewhere between middle- and working-class in the show.

He was between working class and middle class in Goodnight Sweetheart.

Didn't he play an MI5 agent in The Piglet Files?

Correct.

I'm surprised that so many people actually thought Eric Sykes suited the roles he wrote - it just goes to show that people's perceptions are different. I thought he was ill at ease as an actor and none too good at delivery/timing.

Mind you, speaking as someone who could never understand what people saw in June Whitfield, a comedienne who outlasted other sitcom performers several times over, my perception MUST definitely be up the spout...

You can't get more miscast, than the little Indian bloke in After You've Gone, playing a Pub Landlord.