Current radio comedy...

Most threads for individual comedies die on their arse, so I thought it might be better to have one thread in which we could discuss all radio comedies. It's doomed to wither and die, but what the hey.

I don't know if anybody else has heard it, but I'm enjoying Safety Catch on Tuesdays at 6:30. It stars Darren Boyd and is about an arms trader. It's not brilliant but it's got a good gag-hit rate, and being about the arms trader is a genuinely original subject.

We've had this thread before. It will indeed die on its arse. ;)

The 6:30 slot clashes with BBC London News, so I never catch it.

Quote: Aaron @ July 16 2008, 10:31 AM BST

We've had this thread before. It will indeed die on its arse. ;)

I won't let it. I'll nurture it like a sickly pot plant, carefully adding to it every day.

Morning. Heard Safety Catch last night. Entertaining half hour, I thought. There have been quite a few entertaining but not brilliant sitcoms on Radio 4 recently, Double Science and Hut 33 included. At least they do actually make an effort with comedy on Radio 4 and have regular slots for it, even if some of them do fall on their arse. Better to do that than absolute bugger all, eh?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 16 2008, 11:45 AM BST

Morning. Heard Safety Catch last night. Entertaining half hour, I thought. There have been quite a few entertaining but not brilliant sitcoms on Radio 4 recently, Double Science and Hut 33 included. At least they do actually make an effort with comedy on Radio 4 and have regular slots for it, even if some of them do fall on their arse. Better to do that than absolute bugger all, eh?

Agreed. The six thirty slot is a great slot. And all the shows mentioned - Safety Catch, Double Science and Hut 33 - have had a higher laugh ratio than Lab Rats.

I guess maybe radio sitcoms with a studio audience have to work that little bit harder on the gag count in order that the audience won't fall asleep or start coughing in an embarrassed manner. Certainly, some of the narrative comedies without an audience can be a little indulgent or lacking in actual jokes sometimes. The recent Maltby Collection by David Nobbs was quite dull, and Nebulous, starring Mark Gattis, was an incredibly indulgent, fan boy, load of old cock. On it's third series, I believe. So what do I know.

Anybody listening to the repeats of Count Arthur Strong that are on at the moment- utter genius!

Safety Catch was on a few months back, but in the 11am slot. This appears to be the 'repeat' for a more accessible time (as is Fags, Mags and Bags).

I really thought it was excellent and one of the best sitcoms I've heard on radio. Very, very funny and entertaining.

Best radio sitcoms ever in my opinion are Absolute Power and Old Harry's Game. In fact, anything by Mark Taverner (RIP) or Andy Hamilton stand out from the crowd.

Dan

No one saw your bl'mmin' question! If you post, rather than edit, then it'll come up as having been posted in again with the little tick image thingy. Note for the future, only edit to correct mistakes, not to append. :)

The only ones I get to listen to are the saturday lunch time stuff on Radio 2.

A bit hit and miss.

Quote: Griff @ July 16 2008, 3:57 PM BST

Well this is all very interesting but I want my question answered.

I have just bought a new DAB radio. Are BBC7, Radio2 and Radio4 the only stations that broadcast comedy, or are there any digital commercial stations that do this ? I know there was Oneword, but that's gone bust now.

OK Aaron..

Why don't you go through the stations to find out?

Quote: Griff @ July 16 2008, 3:57 PM BST

OK Aaron..

>_<

As far as I know they are. Although you have missed out FiveLive, which has Fighting Talk -- the funniest programme on the radio and radio's equivalent of Top Gear.

Channel 4, E4 and Pure4 radio will have comedy on them when they are (eventually) broadcasting, though I think the E4/Pure4 will be a limited output (no more than two or three progs a week).

To be honest, for radio to get more mainstream it needs to follow the download/podcast route I think, as people (like me) tend to only make time to listen to stuff on the bus/train/doing something boring. Unfortunately.

Dan

I've just listened to a repeat of Fabulous. This series, first broadcast last year, is currently being repeated on Radio 4 late at night. There were some good moments, but all the best jokes seemed to be lavatorial, from being shown a picture of Hannah Gordon's poo, to a mother telling her son unusual words for various toilet practices: i.e. - "Starwberry" (poo), "Lemonade" (urine) and "Kettle" (Lavatory).

I think most programmes on Five Live are funny, although unintentionally so, what with all the self-righteous clod-hoppers that phone in.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 17 2008, 11:50 AM BST

I think most programmes on Five Live are funny, although unintentionally so, what with all the self-righteous clod-hoppers that phone in.

Aaron phones Five Live?