Why are studio sitcoms wanted? Page 4

Quote: Charly @ July 11 2008, 5:38 PM BST

For really funny sitcoms, live studio audiences can be good. But I find that when a show is only mildly funny, the audience hooting with laughter (is that for real, or do they hold up a card saying "Laugh Now"?) just sort of underlines how unfunny the joke was.

As is said on the previous page, there's various reasons for this - the main one though I believe is just that you're in company when in a studio audience. I think its a natural reaction to laugh more when you're around others. I find I certainly do (imagine watching stand-up comedy in a one-on-one situation - doubt that'd be laugher-inducing no matter how good the comic!)

This brings up a good point though - a laugh track shouldn't be noticable or certainly interupt one's focus... yet, I think I'd have to agree with the observation that it appears as if studio audiences are getting louder and louder!

Nah, you're just getting more cynical in your old age. ;)

Unless I think something is particularly bad, I don't notice audience laughter at all. I'm keeping it real. Cool

Has anyone here seen any truly poor single-camera comedies? The standard seems to be much higher than audience comedies in general.

But objectively is the standard higher, or have we just been spoiled with a couple of particularly "great" ones, thus raising our expectations unfairly? Lead Balloon doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves, for example.

Truly poor, Saxondale.

One thing that i now realise (after seeing an audience show made) is the costs must be in another league to do single cam. Our show was dress rehersed, set built, film and (bar FX) done in a days work. I know theres editing etc, etc but the cost of a studio for a day must be tiny compared to a single cam show shoot over a longer period and often involving outside shooting/different locations.....although i wonder how single location single cam stuff compares - i.e The Office?

It depends on the show. Something like The Office was probably cheaper to produce than The Thick Of It or Saxondale, for example, by quite a long way. As far as I'm aware, they only left the confines of the office itself on a few occasions? All at Teddington (IIRC). Saxondale seemed almost entirely location-based though, and The Thick Of It I don't really recall, but I think also most on location.

But yes, generally studio sitcoms are much cheaper to produce than closed-set shows, and yield the highest rewards.

The Thick Of It was dirt cheap to make. They gave Iannucci the money to make one pilot, and he went away and made three for exactly the same price.

Unlikely. The BBC is totally outsourced. I seem to recall reading that a separate company runs TV Centre's studios, and they hire them back just as any other company.

Not Going Out? Teddington.
After You've Gone? Teddington and Pinewood.
My Family? Pinewood.
HIGNFY? The London Studios.
QI? The London Studios.

Etc.

And at the risk of sounding condescending, remember that it's not just a case of going and setting up a camera somewhere. There's health & safety clearance, probably extras to hire, councils/property owners to gain permission from, charges to have roads closed if necessary, technical equipment to hire, cast and crew to transport and feed, and God knows what else.

Quote: Griff @ July 14 2008, 3:12 PM BST

Oh OK, I didn't know. I just remember from that talk we went to at the Writers Guild, someone was banging on about the "expense" of studio sitcoms, but I can't remember who or what they said.

Hm, don't quite recall that either. I do recall the mention of it. Not sure which they said was cheaper though!

Ultimately, the kinds of shows which record in front of audiences tend to have the greatest longevity, large audience numbers, great DVD sales, lots of format sales, and so on.

Budget is a constant headache whichever way you're going.

The sitcom I've got (hopefully) going into commissioning and development at the Beeb could be shot either way. In any case, on getting the pilot script re-written for a submission I had several chats with my producers and director about set costs etc. and the script was honed to try and get the same number of laughs using as limited a number of locations as possible. This seems to be pretty vital, at least as far as budget for any potential pilot episode is concerned.

Quote: Aaron @ July 14 2008, 3:10 PM BST

Unlikely. The BBC is totally outsourced. I seem to recall reading that a separate company runs TV Centre's studios, and they hire them back just as any other company.

Not Going Out? Teddington.
After You've Gone? Teddington and Pinewood.
My Family? Pinewood.
HIGNFY? The London Studios.
QI? The London Studios.

Etc.

I'd really love to see something recorded, but (note above) EVERYTHING is in London and I can't be bothered to go there again this decade.

Quote: Charly @ July 14 2008, 6:09 PM BST

London and I can't be bothered to got there again this decade.

:O

Quote: Aaron @ July 14 2008, 6:26 PM BST

That's like saying 'I don't fancy eating'.

Quote: Aaron @ July 14 2008, 6:26 PM BST

Wooops.
I mean, I love London but....
I have an appointment to see my dentist. Yes.