Why are studio sitcoms wanted? Page 2

Quote: Pete @ July 11 2008, 8:52 AM BST

That doesnt make any sense....its like saying movies are funnier than plays.

Can't believe anyone could possibly not understand what I meant; I generally prefer studio-based sitcoms, and tend to find them much funnier than ones on a closed-set.

Oh, and I disagree on Friends/Lead Balloon.

I think it's a bit premature to write off the studio based sitcom on the basis of one bad sitcom. Especially as Two Pints of Lager, The IT Crowd, My Family are still being made and still very popular. Although if Lab Rats is ultimately deemed a failure, it might mean that getting similar projects off the ground becomes increasingly difficult. Bad news for Seefacts. >_<

Quote: Aaron @ July 11 2008, 11:38 AM BST

Oh, and I disagree on Friends/Lead Balloon.

I think a zillion people would disagree with you though!

Quote: chipolata @ July 11 2008, 11:43 AM BST

I think it's a bit premature to write off the studio based sitcom on the basis of one bad sitcom.

Agree, i wasnt suggest they should stop them - just why the focus when as opposed to single camera stuff which wins the awards and sells the videos.

Quote: Pete @ July 11 2008, 12:07 PM BST

Agree, i wasnt suggest they should stop them - just why the focus when as opposed to single camera stuff which wins the awards and sells the videos.

Not sure I agree. Two of the beebs most popular shows are My Family and Two Pints. Not sure if that translates to DVD sales, but they certainly put bums on seats. Or Aaron, to give him his proper name. :P

They might do, but then we get back to the point of comedy being subjective, and that I tend to - but clearly not always - find studio-style sitcoms infinitely funnier to those on closed sets.

just why the focus when as opposed to single camera stuff which wins the awards and sells the videos.

Do you mean that "single camera" shows are selling and winning awards, so why look for studio?

Lead Balloon for me. Friends has the texture of processed cheese.

Quote: chipolata @ July 11 2008, 12:11 PM BST

Not sure I agree. Two of the beebs most popular shows are My Family and Two Pints.

Yes - but do they think they will get another my family at 9.30pm on BBC2?

I seethe reason for studio sitcoms - i'm just curious why it's a focus.

Arron - yes, it seems that the dvd sales and exports (and awards) are going to non-studio stuff.

Probably just because they're predominant amongst new-productions then, certainly awards. As far as I'm aware, DVD sales are relatively equal across the board - depending on the quality of the individual show obviously - but due to their wider-ranging appeal, stuff like My Family will always sell better than The Thick of It, for example.

Can't really comment on exports as I pay little attention to those.

Studio sitcoms are being made because there was a conscious decision a while ago by the BBC to tip the balance away from single camera comedies and back to studio, simply because (I believe) there was too much single cam stuff and family sitcom seemed to have gone out of the window. That doesn't mean to say those comedies will never be made again, but what it does mean is that it would be a foolish new writer who stubbornly (or snobbishly) refuses to accept this current trend and keep on turning out non-audience material.

To get anywhere you have to tailor your work to current fashions or you're narrowing your chances of being commissioned. Unless you're Ricky Gervais, who I can never see doing an audience-com, ever.

Quote: Perry Nium @ July 11 2008, 1:02 PM BST

Studio sitcoms are being made because there was a conscious decision a while ago by the BBC to tip the balance away from single camera comedies and back to studio, simply because (I believe) there was too much single cam stuff and family sitcom seemed to have gone out of the window. That doesn't mean to say those comedies will never be made again, but what it does mean is that it would be a foolish new writer who stubbornly (or snobbishly) refuses to accept this current trend and keep on turning out non-audience material.

To get anywhere you have to tailor your work to current fashions or you're narrowing your chances of being commissioned. Unless you're Ricky Gervais, who I can never see doing an audience-com, ever.

update: Sorry Mark P, didn't read your post

More's the pity. He might come up with something really funny.

Would be nice to see a bit of originality - maybe a single cam show that is more geared to families. My kids love the US Office which is far more "fun" than ours - it seems we think single cam stuff has to be edgy and full of bad language......or a studio show for intelligent people, the notion that you need to be "silly" in front of an audience was taken to extremes last night with crappy CGI snails.

Maybe gervais doing a studio show WOULD be good...although if he ever make another sitcom for UK TV i'd be amazed.

Quote: Aaron @ July 11 2008, 1:04 PM BST

More's the pity. He might come up with something really funny.

Well I suppose never say never but I can't see it. Thing is, I actually laughed more at When The Whistle Blows than Extras itself. Don't get me wrong, Extras was great but I loved that Ken Morley-type character Ricky did in Whistle. They should've recorded a full-length episode for the Extras DVD in my opinion.

I feel that should've been posted in the guilty secrets thread.

Quote: chipolata @ July 11 2008, 12:11 PM BST

... but they certainly put bums on seats. Or Aaron, to give him his proper name. :P

Laughing out loud

Quote: Perry Nium @ July 11 2008, 1:23 PM BST

Well I suppose never say never but I can't see it. Thing is, I actually laughed more at When The Whistle Blows than Extras itself. Don't get me wrong, Extras was great but I loved that Ken Morley-type character Ricky did in Whistle. They should've recorded a full-length episode for the Extras DVD in my opinion.

I thought WTWB was so bad it was good. I'd love to have seen a full episode as an extra.

For really funny sitcoms, live studio audiences can be good. But I find that when a show is only mildly funny, the audience hooting with laughter (is that for real, or do they hold up a card saying "Laugh Now"?) just sort of underlines how unfunny the joke was.
Did that make sense or was I just rambling?