Comedians who died prematurely? Page 8

James Beck I think will always be considered a very sad early loss. He was one of the best things about Dad's Army, a very well written character. I have a suspicion though, that had Beck lived, he might have left Dad's Army before the end.

Steve Martin.

Barbara Mitchell (For The Love Of Ada/Please Sir) 48

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 21 2008, 2:40 PM GMT

Steve Martin.

WOT?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 21 2008, 2:40 PM GMT

Steve Martin.

He was on The Daily Show the other week and he wasn't too bad. He wasn't great, but he was okay. And some of his writing in recent years hasn't been too bad either.

Quote: chipolata @ November 25 2008, 12:32 PM GMT

He was on The Daily Show the other week and he wasn't too bad. He wasn't great, but he was okay. And some of his writing in recent years hasn't been too bad either.

He was one of the greatest comedians of all time for me. Now he makes rubbish. He has the odd little surge, like Bowfinger, or his novels, but that ain't enough. He's basically been mostly shit for about twenty years.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 25 2008, 12:44 PM GMT

He was one of the greatest comedians of all time for me. Now he makes rubbish. He has the odd little surge, like Bowfinger, or his novels, but that ain't enough. He's basically been mostly shit for about twenty years.

Perhaps he's earned the right to be shit?

Russel Brand , well , I can dream....

Quote: chipolata @ November 25 2008, 1:02 PM GMT

Perhaps he's earned the right to be shit?

Why would you earn the right to be shit?! And it's not like it's been for a bit. I'm a big fan, but he's acutally probably been at least a bit rubbish for the majority of his career! Film career, anyway.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 25 2008, 1:15 PM GMT

Why would you earn the right to be shit?! And it's not like it's been for a bit. I'm a big fan, but he's acutally probably been at least a bit rubbish for the majority of his career! Film career, anyway.

I think it's very difficult to maintain a career at the same level of intensity, and very few manage to do it succesfully. Most seem to slip into comfortable mediocrity at some point.

Quote: chipolata @ November 25 2008, 1:27 PM GMT

I think it's very difficult to maintain a career at the same level of intensity, and very few manage to do it succesfully. Most seem to slip into comfortable mediocrity at some point.

Hm, but you think, in all that time, he'd make a few more good films; even by accident. I'm not saying he still has to be brilliant, it would just be nice if he wasn't content to be so awful. Steve Martin is important to the history of comedy, it would be nice if he was in more vehicles that reflected that. Like Cheaper By The Dozen 3, or something.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 25 2008, 1:33 PM GMT

Hm, but you think, in all that time, he'd make a few more good films; even by accident. I'm not saying he still has to be brilliant, it would just be nice if he wasn't content to be so awful. Steve Martin is important to the history of comedy, it would be nice if he was in more vehicles that reflected that. Like Cheaper By The Dozen 3, or something.

But if you think about it, Steve Martin only ever made two great comedy films: The Man With Two Brains and The Jerk, both Carl Reiner movies. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid was okay but a bit of a one joke movie... In all, Steve Martin's claim to comedy greatness relates to his stand-up.

He's been in other good films; Bowfinger, Trains Plains, La Story, Roxanne; all good. And of course The Three Amigos ruled. Anyway, saying he's been in a ton of bad films only furthers my point; he was a great comic, but it hasn't really been reflected, especially in recent years.

Quote: chipolata @ November 25 2008, 2:53 PM GMT

Steve Martin only ever made two great comedy films: The Man With Two Brains and The Jerk, both Carl Reiner movies.

Which Martin also helped write though.

The Man With Two Brains and All Of Me were also good.

La Story and Parenthood were his last good films imo.

Quote: Nil Putters @ November 25 2008, 3:05 PM GMT

The Man With Two Brains and All Of Me were also good.

La Story and Parenthood were his last good films imo.

Have you seen Bowfinger? I seem to remember that being pretty funny.