Comedians who died prematurely? Page 12

Too mannered as a performer for me. And he had no great skill with an audience beyond timing the gags, which had (largely) been stolen by him/on his behalf. Of course Bob's main comedy idol was Bob Hope, another comic who made a career out of ripping off both comedy writers and other comedians.

Oh well. Each to their own.

Indeed. :)

Quote: Griff @ June 23 2008, 3:53 PM BST

:D :D

Orwight Tweacle!!!

Marc P did you ever have to write the word "Treacle" into Frank Butcher's dialogue ?

PS you have no idea how difficult it is to find a JPEG of Cockney Wanker from Viz. Google Images has failed entirely.

Thought it was Pete Beale that said 'Treacle'.

Don't think anyone has mentioned Chris Farley yet have they?

Quote: peter gazzard @ August 5 2009, 5:24 PM BST

Thought it was Pete Beale that said 'Treacle'.

Pete Beale was indeed the 'treacle' spouting one. He was also in The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle and once walked past my garden while I was washing my dogs. Amazing, but true.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 5 2009, 6:21 PM BST

Pete Beale was indeed the 'treacle' spouting one. He was also in The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle and once walked past my garden while I was washing my dogs. Amazing, but true.

Wow - that is amazing!

So how many celebs have you encountered? There seem to be hundreds.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 5 2009, 2:50 PM BST

Bit aggressive, Aaron.

The fact was he was a thief. Simple as. That's the main reason there weren't a bunch of stand-ups forming a queue to pay tribute to him when he died. I used to spend a lot of time around comedy clubs and watching stand-ups on the circuit years ago. It was common knowledge that he would send his "writers" around to nick sure-fire gags from circuit comedians, which would then mysteriously appear in his routines within 6 months. You don't have to take my word for it, ask any hard-working stand-up who worked the country in the 90's.

How many comedians of his generation wrote their own stuff?

"It's the way they tell 'em!"

Quote: Chappers @ August 5 2009, 7:26 PM BST

How many comedians of his generation wrote their own stuff?

There's a difference between paying people to write your act and f**king stealing it off other comedians. Angry

Off-topic:

On-topic:

Grandad. :)

EDIT: Confused now...

Chris Farley may not have been mentioned. His style reminded me somewhat of John Belushi, did Farley. He was overweight and died of a drugs overdose.

Quote: Chappers @ August 5 2009, 7:26 PM BST

Wow - that is amazing!

So how many celebs have you encountered? There seem to be hundreds.

It's because of where I live and going to fashion shows and doing the costumes for adverts and pop videos, working near Broadcasting House and being pals with a TV director. :)

Mitch Hedberg

Rod Hull.

Young Barry Ellis. He was only 5 and never got to make it but he made all his family laugh.

Quote: Morrace @ August 5 2009, 8:50 PM BST

Mitch Hedberg

Rest in Peace, Mitch.

"I don't have a girlfriend, I just know a girl who would get really mad if she heard me say that."

John Hughes - Comedy writer and director - 59 - heart attack.