Comedians who died prematurely? Page 7

He was too gay for my liking.

Quote: David Chapman @ June 30 2008, 8:10 PM BST

I always thought Graham Chapman was the weak link but maybe he was a great writer.

Weak link? Not only was he a very strong writer (especially in the TV series), in 'Holy Grail' and 'Brian' he showed he was the best actor of the bunch (which the rest of them are happy to concur with). His roles in those films weren't the funny ones, but his performances held the films together.

Quote: SlagA @ June 28 2008, 3:52 PM BST

Tony Hancock has to be the most over-rated loss.

To quote John McEnroe . .

'You cannot be serious!'

A few sad recent additions:

Paul Makin - Comedy writer best known for Nightingales. Brain Tumour at the age of 54.

Geoffrey Perkins - Comedy producer/writer. Car accident at 55.

Ken Campbell - Improv king and comedy actor. Died at the age of 66 (not sure what the cause of death was).

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 30 2008, 5:00 PM BST

Hancock's film outings.

WERE FANTASTIC.

Especially 'The Rebel'. The whole pompous art world piss-take storyline of the film is even more relevant today than it ever was. They could easily do a remake of this (although obviously I hope they don't) without having to change a thing. Just replace Hancock's character with Damien Hirst.

Quote: Aaron @ June 28 2008, 5:20 PM BST

Over-rated?! Pah. I've seen your excuse for comedy! You've no right to be doubting the greats! *brandishes mace menacingly*

Hancock was a legend.............unfortunately only available in black & white, which is just not sufficient to hold the attention span of the youth of today................Paul Merton did re-record some of his stuff in colour, but it just didn't work..........brave effort tho'

Quote: chipolata @ July 1 2008, 12:30 PM BST

He was too gay for my liking.

Well, how gay would you like him to have been?

Quote: Ian G @ September 17 2008, 3:06 PM BST

Well, how gay would you like him to have been?

About ten percent less gay. ;)

Dave Allen 68 - peacefully in his sleep.

Quote: chipolata @ September 17 2008, 3:08 PM BST

About ten percent less gay. ;)

So he was only just too gay? :D

Sam Kinison. stand-up comic and movie star. In his 20's, heart attack.

This thread is worryingly turning me into a hypochrondriact. I've wikipediad all the illnesses and have all the symptons to them. :(

Ha ha, oh dear! I'm sure you're fine though, Jack!

He does look a bit peaky, though. :)

Reg Varney - 92, after a short illness. Not exactly a premature death, but still might as well be added to the Death List.

Richard Pryor is and always will be one of my fav's. Also, John Candy and Sam kinison as posted above.

George Carlin was a saint....... Oh yes he was.I got to see his bit live several times.

Now on Tony Hancock...... In a course I took most recently, he was the topic of conversation with the prof.

He loved Tony and had made a dvd up of some of his work. I did find one bit on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnLyqBtU_F8