Earliest gay sitcom character? Page 3

Quote: zooo @ June 11 2008, 12:02 AM BST

Also the way I say 'hoof' doesn't rhyme with the way I would say 'poof'.

That's coz you are a posh bird ;)

Quote: zooo @ June 11 2008, 12:02 AM BST

Also the way I say 'hoof' doesn't rhyme with the way I would say 'poof'.

That too!

well in my neck of the woods we would pronounce them huff and puff

Hufflepuff!

Hr Pufnstuf

Quote: zooo @ June 11 2008, 12:05 AM BST

Hufflepuff!

:O Say it ain't so!

Maybe!

Quote: Rockabilly @ June 10 2008, 11:57 PM BST

Re the steptoe ''any old iron'', I am a massive steptoe fan ,and it has always made me wonder whether this episode was Galton and Simpsons little joke at the expense of Wilfrid Brambell, considering his characters disgust at the thought of his son becoming a ''poof'', considering he was himself homosexual.

Quite possible, Galton and Simpson drew a lot of inspiration from their observation of Corbett and Brambell; it can make the show quite uncomfortable viewing.

Porridge had many references to homosexuals in it's scripts, and there was another gay character in one episode wearing curlers! the same actor was the jockey in HI DE HI,

Gay Gordon.

and the Porridge film had 2 gay characters.

Samson and Delilah.

Quote: Rockabilly @ June 10 2008, 11:57 PM BST

You would have had to have been a bit thick not to have noticed any ''gay'' under/overtones, just from the voice characterisations alone! , the polari used was very basic.

I think you are underestimating the ''alertness'' of the audience to this subject in rth.

That's what I used to think. But the more older people I talk to*, the more I think the general public were just blind to anything about gayness unless it was f**king spelled out to them.

(*and I mean older than any of the regulars here, so don't think I mean you.)

Quote: zooo @ June 11 2008, 12:16 AM BST

That's what I used to think. But the more older people I talk to*, the more I think the general public were just blind to anything about gayness unless it was f**king spelled out to them.

(*and I mean older than any of the regulars here, so don't think I mean you.)

Having lived through the period I would say without hesitation that most people who were not gay would only make an assumption that the two people in Round the Horne must be "puffs" because of the tone of their voice. Polari was meant to be , according to "wiki"

used as a means of cover, to allow gay subjects to be discussed aloud without being understood; on the other hand, it was also used by some, particularly the most visibly camp and effeminate, as a further way of asserting their identity

What I object to is people opening a thread and calling me a bit thick when I'm trying to explore the subject they have opened

Quote: zooo @ June 11 2008, 12:16 AM BST

I think there is a lot in that. The respectable working and middle classes simply had no exposure to open homosexuality. My own parents were naive about these things until quite late in life.

Victoria Wood in Housewife 49 capture this well, when she completely fails to recognise that her artist son is homosexual, despite him all but telling her.

My mum only just accepted that Dirk Bogarde was gay. Even though she knew that he lived with his male 'friend' for 20 odd years.

But then my mother is another story...

There appear to be a lot of people who use these forums to gather information they are too lazy to explore or research themselves

Quote: Alan C @ June 11 2008, 12:26 AM BST

There appear to be a lot of people who use these forums to gather information they are too lazy to explore or research themselves

Will you give us some examples? :P

Quote: Alan C @ June 11 2008, 12:26 AM BST

Ah. That puts an end to the 'Find Me Pictures of Tennant Naked' thread I was going to start.