Earliest gay sitcom character? Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ June 10 2008, 11:39 PM BST

Maybe I'm terribly innocent, but I took Hancock's unease to be related to how charmless and unashamedly, weirdly naive he was, rather than any sexual overtones.

Well this is the whole problem of the nature of the times we are talking about - it was not a subject for comedy in the 50's or 60's and most gay actors would never reveal their sexual preferences until the 70's at least. The Bona Polari talk in Round the Horne was just seen as two very odd characters speaking in a very strange language at a time when esperranto was also popular. So only if you knew that polari was an underground gay "language" would you even be aware of the sexual overtone to the sketches.

@Aaron re: Any Old Iron... Iron hoof = poof...

kjs

Mm, that's true. But then there was never any hint of homosexuality, or anything other than even the most basic grasp of English much of the time, throughout Snide's appearances in the radio series'.

Quote: KJSmyling @ June 10 2008, 11:48 PM BST

kjs

Thank you KJS I completely missed his response Laughing out loud

Quote: KJSmyling @ June 10 2008, 11:48 PM BST

Ah, ok. Thanks. :)

Quote: Aaron @ June 10 2008, 11:49 PM BST

Mm, that's true. But then there was never any hint of homosexuality, or anything other than even the most basic grasp of English much of the time, throughout Snide's appearances in the radio series'.

Characters like Snide made people uncomfortable because they were distinctly unmasculine - Charles Hawtrey had much the same effect in the Carry On films at the time. This is not a retrospective historical viewpoint but a contemperaneous account of the feelings of the time.

Oo, contemporaneous. There's a word that's rarely heard. (I did a rhyme!)

It is my new word of the week.

Quote: Aaron @ June 10 2008, 11:53 PM BST

Oo, contemporaneous. There's a word that's rarely heard. (I did a rhyme!)

It is my new word of the week.

I'm just happy I spelt it right after a bottle of Shiraz :D

I've never heard that slang before.

Well, you put an 'e' instead of an 'o', but that's still pretty damn good after a whole bottle!

Quote: zooo @ June 10 2008, 11:55 PM BST

No, me either. Damn the politically correct, sanitised society I was brought up in! Angry

Quote: Alan C @ June 10 2008, 11:45 PM BST

Well this is the whole problem of the nature of the times we are talking about - it was not a subject for comedy in the 50's or 60's and most gay actors would never reveal their sexual preferences until the 70's at least. The Bona Polari talk in Round the Horne was just seen as two very odd characters speaking in a very strange language at a time when esperranto was also popular. So only if you knew that polari was an underground gay "language" would you even be aware of the sexual overtone to the sketches.

You would have had to have been a bit thick not to have noticed any ''gay'' under/overtones, just from the voice characterisations alone! , the polari used was very basic.

I think you are underestimating the ''alertness'' of the audience to this subject in rth.

Re the steptoe ''any old iron'', I am a massive steptoe fan ,and it has always made me wonder whether this episode was Galton and Simpsons little joke at the expense of Wilfrid Brambell, considering his characters disgust at the thought of his son becoming a ''poof'', considering he was himself homosexual.

Porridge had many references to homosexuals in it's scripts, and there was another gay character in one episode wearing curlers! the same actor was the jockey in HI DE HI, and the Porridge film had 2 gay characters.

What I was hoping was some ''underground'' characters similar to Julian and Sandy may have existed in a 50's or early 60's sitcom , but it seems not.

Quote: zooo @ June 10 2008, 11:55 PM BST

blimey, I thought iron hoof was still engrained in cockney terminology

Quote: Rockabilly @ June 10 2008, 11:57 PM BST

What I was hoping was some ''underground'' characters similar to Julian and Sandy may have existed in a 50's or early 60's sitcom , but it seems not.

They almost certainly did, but we've just not thought of them due to their minority, or have never seen the shows to be able to recall them in the first place.

*strokes chin*

Quote: Rockabilly @ June 10 2008, 11:57 PM BST

Happy researching then

Quote: Alan C @ June 10 2008, 11:59 PM BST

blimey, I thought iron hoof was still engrained in cockney terminology

Also the way I say 'hoof' doesn't rhyme with the way I would say 'poof'.