Earliest gay sitcom character?

I love Round the Horne, radio I know, but this had 2 of the CAMPEST ''gay'' before it was legal, characters, come to think of it they probably still are the campest ever!

This got me thinking, are there any camp/gay characters in early sitcoms 50s or 60s? Or was Mr Humphries the first?

Well Kenneth Williams played a very camp character in an episode of Hancock's Half-Hour "The Alpine Holiday" from the late 50's .. but I will have to put my thinking cap on for this one.

There's an antique dealer in, I think, series 5 of Steptoe and Son (1970) who takes quite a shine to Harold.

Also I seem to recall a few camp characters having been in Hancock's Half Hour.

How about Hi-De-Hi?

They had morning campers.

Depends if you count subtle (but clear) hints or if you need it explicitly stated.

You will get some people who will still insist that Humphreys wasn't even gay, just cos they didn't see him humping a bloke on screen.

Yes, the episode of Steptoe and Son is called "Any old Iron" and the title is the give-away

Quote: Alan C @ June 10 2008, 11:26 PM BST

Well Kenneth Williams played a very camp character in an episode of Hancock's Half-Hour "The Alpine Holiday" from the late 50's

Snide was less camp, more ridiculously gaumless.

Quote: Aaron @ June 10 2008, 11:33 PM BST

Snide was less camp, more ridiculously gaumless.

Not what Hancock thought when he wanted to share his room with him !

Quote: zooo @ June 10 2008, 11:31 PM BST

Depends if you count subtle (but clear) hints or if you need it explicitly stated.

Well the question (in the post) included camp, so whether one wishes to believe that Mr Humphries was gay or not, he definitely counts! :D

Quote: Alan C @ June 10 2008, 11:32 PM BST

the title is the give-away

Is it? Evidently I'm missing out some homo-slang from my vocabulary.

Ah, good point!

Although camp and gay can often be two entirely separate things.

There was a gay character in Porridge, wasn't there?
Was it Biggins or have I gone mental...

yes and both Elton John and Freddie Mercury both had women in their lives at one point so they couldn't possibly be (or have been) gay?! :O

Quote: zooo @ June 10 2008, 11:37 PM BST

Ah, good point!

There was a gay character in Porridge, wasn't there?
Was it Biggins or have I gone mental...

Yes Lukewarm

Quote: Alan C @ June 10 2008, 11:34 PM BST

Not what Hancock thought when he wanted to share his room with him !

Maybe I'm terribly innocent, but I took Hancock's unease to be related to how charmless and unashamedly, weirdly naive he was, rather than any sexual overtones.

Hee.
Or is it that bloke I always get mixed up with Biggins?

Quote: zooo @ June 10 2008, 11:39 PM BST

Hee.

Could be but it's the character Biggins played in Porridge :D

Quote: zooo @ June 10 2008, 11:37 PM BST

Indeed. Hence the clearer, albeit more encompassing, phrasing of the question in the post, I would guess!

Quote: zooo @ June 10 2008, 11:39 PM BST

Hee.

Bless 'im.