Instead of finding something funny or unfunny... Page 2

Yep, possible indeed. But 90% of the BSG's active members are writers. So like I said, most of the criticism.... etc.

In comedy I am pretty easy to please to and can appreciate the time and effort in set-up etc. However, some comedy these days is 'challenging' to say the least and can be disturbing and make you feel uncomfortable watching. You may get the gag but in some ways you wish you didn't.

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather have a good laugh in a way that doesn't make me think. I do enough of that in the real world.

Quote: Tuumble @ April 22 2008, 11:51 AM BST

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather have a good laugh in a way that doesn't make me think. I do enough of that in the real world.

Agreed.

I generally try to watch stuff and enjoy it, even if general consensus is that it's quite bad. If something's awful I just won't watch again, rather than waste time bemoaning it.

I will give comedy two or three episodes before tuning out and even then probably watch till the end of the series, mainly due to a minor OCD problem I think I have. Roman's Empire last year, was a case in point. I thought the first episode was very, very poor and was also annoyed that it was some author's son(s?) that got in (proving the not-what-but-who theory) but then I got quite into it in subsequent episodes (which were *way* better to be fair) and enjoyed it.

I can see what Aaron's saying about us embittered comedy writers but I geniunely think I have become *less* critical as I write more. I've realised how difficult it was and been a lot more forgiving. Just sitting back and enjoying it more. Also, you're never going to appeal to everyone.

All this said, it may just be that I have to channel all my comedy hatred into Bo' Selecta and can't put any effort into hating anything else. It just riles me even thinking about it...

Dan

I need some form of originality or creativity in a sitcom to laugh. If I don't see it I will use much harsher words than 'dire' or 'tripe' to explain the show. With that said I do reserve a heartfelt spot for sitcoms that have at least tried something different, that didn't end up working (ex: the US ""Andy Barker, P.I." was creative and original but just didn't work unfortunately).

I don't think being a writer has anything at all to do with my opinion on shows. They either make me laugh or they don't.

Quote: Aaron @ April 22 2008, 12:05 AM BST

It's pretty easy to please me comedy-wise - which doesn't bode well for shows I dislike - so I'm close to that end of the scale. Most of the criticism and hatred here is bitterness and jealousy from unsuccessful writers though! ;)

This is bumph. You can criticise stuff without being jealous. Yes, the vast majority of BSGer's are comedy writers, but every single one of them also thinks that it's only a matter of time before they're discovered and write the next great British sitcom. So a lot aren't particularly bitter, because they think their time has yet to come (they may be deluded, but that's a different matter).

As for Two Pints. My criticism of the show is that it's a depressingly unambitous show. The characters are largely one-dimensional, the stories predictable and the gags signposted a mile away. A show like Gavin and Stacy covers similar ground, but does so with much more charm and genuine wit.

I'm not saying that jealousy is the only reason. But right there, as a writer, you've analysed a show in far greater a depth than any normal, casual viewer - the target audience, I daresay - would. A normal viewer is unlikely to say that a show is "unambitious", or make any such observations of plot, jokes and characters. They just like it, or don't like it.

(Of course there are exceptions to every rule and all that, but that's true for most of the time in my experience.)

On the subject of Two Pints, I'm not completely down on it. I mentioned in another post that it is used by the beeb to develop and "blood" new talent. Many BBC competition winners do seem to end up involved in it in some way, which can only be a good thing from their point of view.

I think it is a lame argument to say that "most people are critical of comedy because they are jealous, bitter, unsuccessful writers". That is simply not true.

You say this forum is more critical of comedy than others, but there are plenty of other people who feel the same way about comedy. Check Cook'd and Bomb'd, one of the biggest comedy chat forums, it's not a forum mainly made up of aspiring writers like here, it's just genuine comedy fans and they are just as critical, if not more than us on this forum.

I believe if you are a fan of comedy it's your right to be critical of show, whether you are a writer or not, you don't just accept any old trash because I know whether I was a writer or not I could still tell the difference between a great comedy show and a crap comedy show.

Most comedy on TV nowadays is "comedy for people that don't like comedy", I believe somebody at C4 actually used that phrase.

Quote: Aaron @ April 23 2008, 10:53 AM BST

A normal viewer is unlikely to say that a show is "unambitious", or make any such observations of plot, jokes and characters. They just like it, or don't like it.

The forums would be pretty boring if we only said "I like it" or "I don't like it".

Quote: Badge @ April 23 2008, 6:46 PM BST

The forums would be pretty boring if we only said "I like it" or "I don't like it".

Yes, yes it would.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ April 23 2008, 6:35 PM BST

I think it is a lame argument to say that "most people are critical of comedy because they are jealous, bitter, unsuccessful writers". That is simply not true.

You say this forum is more critical of comedy than others, but there are plenty of other people who feel the same way about comedy. Check Cook'd and Bomb'd, one of the biggest comedy chat forums, it's not a forum mainly made up of aspiring writers like here, it's just genuine comedy fans and they are just as critical, if not more than us on this forum.

Christ, Cook'd and Bomb'd is nothing but failed, bitter writers.

Jesus, it's an awful forum with a 'If it's not Fawlty Towers, it's not funny' attitude dripping all over it. I read quite often and it's really hard work at times.

Quote: Seefacts @ April 23 2008, 8:11 PM BST

Christ, Cook'd and Bomb'd is nothing but failed, bitter writers.

Jesus, it's an awful forum with a 'If it's not Fawlty Towers, it's not funny' attitude dripping all over it. I read quite often and it's really hard work at times.

Ha, that's what I originally thought when I first discovered the forum, but really most of the people there aren't writers, but are genuinely funny people who just love comedy.

That "If it's not Fawlty Towers, it's not funny' stance, although true to some extent is not really how the forum is, not anymore anyway. Hell, there are quite a few fans of Gavin and Stacey on there, which I wouldn't expect.

It's a hilarious forum anyway. :D

Quote: Martin Holmes @ April 23 2008, 10:16 PM BST

Ha, that's what I originally thought when I first discovered the forum, but really most of the people there aren't writers, but are genuinely funny people who just love comedy.

That "If it's not Fawlty Towers, it's not funny' stance, although true to some extent is not really how the forum is, not anymore anyway. Hell, there are quite a few fans of Gavin and Stacey on there, which I wouldn't expect.

It's a hilarious forum anyway. :D

Actually, there's been a shift on there of late but a few years ago it was bloody awful.