Instead of finding something funny or unfunny...

...has anybody actually liked or disliked everything they've ever watched? It's a weird question I know, but I'm trying to be positive about any show I watch, and find good things about each and every show. Conversely, there seem to be a lot of people who find nothing they watch funny.

Perhaps I'm just a bit peeved by people who say that something is "dire" or "tripe" without saying why they feel that. Opinions are varied of course, but I'm curious to know why people dislike certain shows (I don't mean saying "I dislike it because it is tripe" either!).

It's pretty easy to please me comedy-wise - which doesn't bode well for shows I dislike - so I'm close to that end of the scale. Most of the criticism and hatred here is bitterness and jealousy from unsuccessful writers though! ;)

In my experience, unless something is exceptionally funny, most people will only laugh if they choose to. Whether they do this is dependent on whether they respect or admire or identify with the people who have made the show or are in it, or if it represents them or their views. A joke can be funny, but 'too easy' or 'too cheap. This is why people will dismiss something as unfunny that other people will laugh at.

Last year I posted a couple of jokes from TWO PINTS - a sitcom almost universally despised on here, to see whether people would laugh out of context. Many agreed that one of the jokes was pretty good. But had they watched the show they probably would not have laughed because their negative feelings about the programme would have intruded.

I'm indifferent to most things, because most things are in the splurge in the middle. Good bits, bad bits, but not enough to drag me in and keep watching. At either end of the spectrum are the very good and the very bad. Because they are one or the other they are easier to have opinions on, and I'm lazy. But I appreciate a lot of shows I don't like might be good, or even funny - just not for me. Godot mentions Two Pints - that's a good example. I don't like it, but I am not in its target market and it's very successful, so clearly a lot of people do like it. Good for them.

Quote: Aaron @ April 22 2008, 12:05 AM BST

Most of the criticism and hatred here is bitterness and jealousy from unsuccessful writers though! ;)

If you keep repeating something often enough it doesn't make it true, you know. Love to see the stats backing up this oft-quoted gem. ;)

Nah, but in this case, it just happens to be. ;)

Anyhoo. That's a whole other discussion entirely. For whatever reason, BSG members are more critical and analytical than others, I find.

Quote: Aaron @ April 22 2008, 12:25 AM BST

Nah, but in this case, it just happens to be. ;)

Anyhoo. That's a whole other discussion entirely. For whatever reason, BSG members are more critical and analytical than others, I find.

Something to do with a special interest in sitcom, maybe?

Yeah, that doesn't necessitate being so overly critical though.

Quote: Aaron @ April 22 2008, 10:20 AM BST

Yeah, that doesn't necessitate being so overly critical though.

Probably a precondition, though. I've very little interest in, for example, grouting, so I am supremely unmoved by poor grouting. Were I a tiler, however, I'd be sucking my teeth and saying, "Who did that bit of grouting? It's all skewwith."

I have no idea if "skewwith" is a term used in grouting. As I said, I've no interest in the subject.

You should grout more Graham.

It's a nice world out there.

Quote: Marc P @ April 22 2008, 10:40 AM BST

You should grout more Graham.

It's a nice world out there.

Like I say, I've no interest in the subject.

Honestly, the world is full of blooming grouting obsessives. Settle down, have a rich tea, for goodness' sake.

And I agree, it really is a lovely world.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ April 22 2008, 10:38 AM BST

I've very little interest in, for example, grouting, so I am supremely unmoved by poor grouting. Were I a tiler, however, I'd be sucking my teeth and saying, "Who did that bit of grouting? It's all skewwith."

Yes. So we're back to people being so critical because they're writers, and reckon they could do better. :)

being*

:P

Thankies.

(Legitimate coloquialism of 'thanks'/'thank you', before anyone tries to correct that. :P)

Absolutely,

Seinfeld, hilarious, but so cold, and all the characters are there to create jokes only.

Red dwarf, those poor lonely, sex starved guys.

Father Ted, loved it even the troubled last series.

Quote: Aaron @ April 22 2008, 11:08 AM BST

Yes. So we're back to people being so critical because they're writers, and reckon they could do better. :)

It's entirely possible that one might be a grouting buff who does not participate in the activity. For example, one might be an amputee, or just clumsy. Perhaps one might be in a different sphere of work but still take joy in a good bit of grouting.