New Ricky Gervais sitcom/movie/thing Page 4

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ April 23 2008, 1:11 PM BST

Harry Potter is a well written, and extremely popular, children's book. Adults who find it enjoyable (or worse, claim it to be amongst their 'favourite' books), have clearly no interest in literature, or reading.

:O

Yes, you read that correctly.

You didn't read the books correctly then. :P

I suppose you feel the same way about Willy Wonka, and The Wizard of Oz then?
Children's films which adults should not enjoy if they have any interest in film?

I do hope so.

There are some truly extraordinary "kids" films that have been made.

To me, a great film is one that takes you into its world for and hour or two and you feel totally immersed in that reality, whether it's a kids film or not.

I'm guessing the same applies to books.

But yeah, adult Harry Potter fans... :S ;)

Zooo, umm no. My point was to do with the harry potter books (as I made perfectly clear, maybe a second reading would help?)
But seeing as you mention the films, yes I accept that adults can enjoy them. But again, it would be bizzarre for an adult to claim that they are their favourite films...it would indicate that the adult in question has seen very few films, or has little comprehension of cinema as an art form. Or possibly, that the adult is a bit simple.

The Wizard of Oz is unquestionably a great movie, one of the best of all time. Isn't it?

I agree about the Harry Potter books not being great literature, but so what?

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ April 23 2008, 4:50 PM BST

it would be bizzarre for an adult to claim that they are their favourite films...it would indicate that the adult in question has seen very few films, or has little comprehension of cinema as an art form. Or possibly, that the adult is a bit simple.

Or it could indicate that, quite simply, they like them more than others.

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ April 23 2008, 4:50 PM BST

Zooo, umm no. My point was to do with the harry potter books (as I made perfectly clear, maybe a second reading would help?)
But seeing as you mention the films, yes I accept that adults can enjoy them. But again, it would be bizzarre for an adult to claim that they are their favourite films...it would indicate that the adult in question has seen very few films, or has little comprehension of cinema as an art form. Or possibly, that the adult is a bit simple.

Are you being condescending for comedic purposes, or is it just your personality?

Quote: zooo @ April 23 2008, 5:12 PM BST

Are you being condescending for comedic purposes, or is it just your personality?

If it was for comic purposes zooo, he'd probably be trying to make a viable argument.

I concur, it matters little whether or not Harry Potter is great literature - it is a book for children. The point is that it is ridiculous for an adult to pronounce it as being brilliant, or a great piece of work.

Oz is a great film, although clearly it is the cinematography and political undertones that make it so. Harry Potter has neither of these things. Both the book and films are fun for kids, and adults can get a kind of enjoyment from them...but to apportion any more kudos on them is ludicrous.

Hang on, what's all this to do with Ricky Gervais?

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ April 23 2008, 5:14 PM BST

The point is that it is ridiculous for an adult to pronounce it as being brilliant

If they really, really, really like it then it would be ridiculous for them to pronounce otherwise, wouldn't it?

True. Maybe I should have written...

'No self respecting adult can give a critical appraisal of Harry Potter that concludes that the film is anything other than a fairly effective children's movie'.

Harry potter, Star wars, Spice Girls, High School Musical...i love them all. Produced to be fun and entertain, as such it is perfectly normal to like them.

Is Schindler's List a better film than High School Musical...yes, but if i had a spare Saturday afternoon and only those two were on telly i'd not be watching black and white nazis.

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ April 23 2008, 5:19 PM BST

a fairly effective children's movie'.

Considering they are some of the biggest films of all time and will gross billions wouldn't a summary containing "fairly effective" indicate some degrade of learning disability on the part of the reviewer?

Quote: M Lewis @ April 23 2008, 5:25 PM BST

learning disability

Ah. That explains a lot.