New Ricky Gervais sitcom/movie/thing Page 3

The books are amazing. I will not hear a word against them. *shakes fist*

I love them! I will reread them a million times before I die.
I'm just saying... he strode quickly, he laughed archly, she swam bravely. >_<

Are those actual examples? And what's so bad about them n e waiz?

No, I made them up.
She just does that a lot. A little is fine, but not aaall the time.
Them's the rules. ;)
It's more with the earlier books though, I think.

But I do like her. What the hell was I watching her on the other day?...

Small world - someone just emailed me the recent upskirt pics of hermione Granger and then i check on the Gervais thread and its all gone to Potter!

Quote: zooo @ April 22 2008, 12:07 AM BST

No, I made them up.
She just does that a lot. A little is fine, but not aaall the time.
Them's the rules. ;)
It's more with the earlier books though, I think.

But I do like her. What the hell was I watching her on the other day?...

The news maybe?

Can't say I was ever aware of anything like that though zooo. Maybe it's cos you is study all proper like innit?.

Quote: M Lewis @ April 22 2008, 12:12 AM BST

Small world - someone just emailed me the recent upskirt pics of hermione Granger...

Forward them to: contact@comedy.co.uk :D

I thought his first film was about a man who was the first person to tell a lie?

I hope it's a sitcom too. I love films to bits, but nowadays I get more excited over sitcom.

Quote: Leevil @ April 22 2008, 8:57 AM BST

I thought his first film was about a man who was the first person to tell a lie?

Sounds a bit poo.

Quote: Leevil @ April 22 2008, 8:57 AM BST

No, that's This Side Of The Truth. I've read the first 30 pages, and its funny.

Oh, did he write that too?
I didn't know/forgot.

Yeah, with some other guy. It's got a lot of good actors in it.

Oh, excellent!
I'm looking even more forward to seeing it then.

On the subject of Gervais, I recently saw him in that episode of Alias he did and I thought he was very good. He really did ooze menace.

As for this film, about a parallel reality in which nobody tells lies and he's the first man to tell one, it's an intriguing conceit and might work. That said, I thought the ninety minute Extras special dragged a bit, so I'd rather he stayed in the half hour TV format.

He was great in Alias!
I loved that episode.

Harry Potter is a well written, and extremely popular, children's book. Adults who find it enjoyable (or worse, claim it to be amongst their 'favourite' books), have clearly no interest in literature, or reading.

As for Gervais wanting to move into film; I agree that TV can be just as effective a medium, but there is a different creatvie challenge involved in making a film that any creative person would be drawn towards. In tv you have hours to get across your themes, but in a film you're looking at between one and a half and two and a half hours. Film is beautiful in a way that tv can never be.

I do appreciate though that sitcom 'fans', or rather those who like sitcom and nothing else (apart from harry potter perhaps), might not be able to appreciate the contrasting strengths of film and television.