New Ricky Gervais sitcom/movie/thing Page 5

Star Wars can hardly be lumped in with those movies.

But you are missing the point, it is not about what is most 'enjoyable' in a throwaway kind of way. It is about what stands up to serious critical appraisal...yeah, I love Dumb and Dumber and enjoy it immensely, but I know enough to know that as a pice of cinema it does not compare with Funny Games for example.

Spice girls???? Really?

Quote: M Lewis @ April 23 2008, 5:25 PM BST

Considering they are some of the biggest films of all time and will gross billions wouldn't a summary containing "fairly effective" indicate some degrade of learning disability on the part of the reviewer?

Depends whether they mean fairly effective as a work of cinematic art or fairly effective as a box-office blockbuster.

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ April 23 2008, 5:27 PM BST

Spice girls???? Really?

That one threw me as well.
:S

Genre is Genre that's all.

Or more importantly, taste is taste.

I'd rather poeple were honest about what they enjoy, than pretend not to like things because poncey judgementals will take the piss.

:)

Quote: zooo @ April 23 2008, 5:32 PM BST

Or more importantly, taste is taste.

I'd rather poeple were honest about what they enjoy, than pretend not to like things because poncey judgementals will take the piss.

:)

I like this post until someone tells me I shouldn't.

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ April 23 2008, 5:14 PM BST

I concur, it matters little whether or not Harry Potter is great literature - it is a book for children. The point is that it is ridiculous for an adult to pronounce it as being brilliant, or a great piece of work.

Oz is a great film, although clearly it is the cinematography and political undertones that make it so. Harry Potter has neither of these things. Both the book and films are fun for kids, and adults can get a kind of enjoyment from them...but to apportion any more kudos on them is ludicrous.

you make enjoying films seem boring.

edit: My two favourite films are 'Network' and 'Silent Running'. The former is a '15', the latter is a 'U'. Both are as brilliant as each other, imo.

Is Schindler's List a better film than High School Musical...yes, but if i had a spare Saturday afternoon and only those two were on telly i'd not be watching black and white nazis.

Laughing out loud

Considering they are some of the biggest films of all time and will gross billions wouldn't a summary containing "fairly effective" indicate some degrade of learning disability on the part of the reviewer?

LOL.

Star Wars can hardly be lumped in with those movies.

How? It's no better than the Harry Potter series, and could be argued as worse, considering its derivation and how much it has split its fans.

But you are missing the point, it is not about what is most 'enjoyable' in a throwaway kind of way.

No, you are missing the point. It is not for you to tell others the basis on which they should value their entertainment. If i want to like Star Wars for its fun and dislike The God Father because it drags on then i am able to and you have no place to tell me that i'm wrong.

As for enjoyable being "throwaway"...not for me it isnt. Cinema is an art, the art of entertainment. If Han Solo entertains then George Lucas is as much an artist as Alfred Hitchcock.

I like the way his whole belief system changes when it comes to a film he likes.

Don't see why an adult shouldn't be allowed to enjoy a kids film, as long as they are watching it for the actual film and not specifically for the kids. :)

I'm not a fan of Harry Potter, the books or films, but not because it's aimed at kids, it's just not my type of thing. I'm not really a big fan of fantasy.

Anyway back on to Gervais, if this show/film is set in the 70's does that mean more racist humour or less, because people wouldn't have felt so awkward about racism back in the 70's?

:D

You obviously followed the wrong Yellow Brick Road.

I note Schindlers List was mentioned in this thread. You know that scene where all those Jewish women are stripped naked and herded into a shower? They think they're going to be gassed but they just get washed instead? Is it wrong to find that scene quite arousing?

Naked chicks. So no.

Quote: chipolata @ April 24 2008, 11:37 AM BST

I note Schindlers List was mentioned in this thread. You know that scene where all those Jewish women are stripped naked and herded into a shower? They think they're going to be gassed but they just get washed instead? Is it wrong to find that scene quite arousing?

definitely not

Has anybody seen the bit Ricky Gervais shot for the DVD extras of 24: Day six?