Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em Page 2

Some Mothers... is an under-rated gem if you ask me. Warm hearted and genuinely funny. It's got corny bits, true, but at its best it delivers enormous laughs for me even today. It's hard to imagine anyone but Crawford doing it anywhere near as well.

Someone else mentioned Crawford appeared in the 60s film "The Knack and How to Get It". If you are up for very-much-of-its-time weird Britcom then this is well worth seeking out. Directed by Richard Lester in the same period he made the Beatles films.

Quote: Badge @ April 17 2008, 11:57 PM BST

Some Mothers... is an under-rated gem if you ask me. Warm hearted and genuinely funny. It's got corny bits, true, but at its best it delivers enormous laughs for me even today. It's hard to imagine anyone but Crawford doing it anywhere near as well.

Someone else mentioned Crawford appeared in the 60s film "The Knack and How to Get It". If you are up for very-much-of-its-time weird Britcom then this is well worth seeking out. Directed by Richard Lester in the same period he made the Beatles films.

He was also in "Hello Dolly" with Barbra Streisand and Walter Matthau. He's a song and dance man who was already known in the States before "Some Mothers" and was the original Phantom of the Opera, I think. I sometimes mix him up his career with Jim Dale who was in the "Carry On" movies and went on to star in "Barnum".

Quote: Goldnutmeg @ April 18 2008, 12:25 AM BST

He ... was the original Phantom of the Opera, I think.

Correct.

Quote: Aaron @ April 18 2008, 12:27 AM BST

Correct.

Gosh, it's schooldays again. ;) Well, as I said in another thread, TG for Wikipedia ... :D

But I have to admit, being an avid musicals fan from the age of seven or so I saw the original cinema release of "Hello Dolly". When many years later I realised Michael Crawford was in it, it always struck me as curious casting, not that he wasn't up to it (he most definitely was) but why an English actor was picked.

The wonderful thing about 'Some Mothers' is, like 'Yes Minister', that it doesn't really age - apart from Michele Dotrice.

Wasn't she married to Peter Davidson for a bit?

Quote: chipolata @ April 18 2008, 9:48 AM BST

You're thinking of Sandra Dickinson.

Steve Harley (of Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel) was to be the original Phantom but got bumped off the cast in favour of Crawford.

Also correct! I'm impressed with the Phantom knowledge around here all of a sudden.

Quote: chipolata @ April 18 2008, 9:48 AM BST

Dotrice was married to Edward Woodwardwoodwood. Except she probably stopped at wood.

They're still married I think.

This was one of my parents faaaaavorite sitcoms of all time. They still watch reruns of it and that says a lot since they don't watch much TV in general. It is a pretty funny show from what I watched.

I thought the third series was weak though, Frank just seemed different in that. Series 2 was superb

aaw i luv this programme its great i wer gonna make a thread for it but then i saw this one :D

Please Alicia, remember capitals and correct spellings and things!

Oh yes sorry I keep forgetting. :D