Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em Page 8

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolloomooloo Indicates that it may go back to old Aboriginal words.

I would love <3 to see the return of this comedy...Frank and Betty were hilarious Console

I think this could be funny if it returns. Maybe both of them in a old folk's home? I don't know, this is one of the few sitcoms from the 70s that could work now, IMO. They are both still alive, and I think it would be good to see this back.

The genius of it was that it was really a cartoon at its core, but with human characters based on cartoon characters rather than cartoon characters based on human.

Miranda Hart is our modern, female Frank Spencer I suppose now - just without the crazy stunts - and her equivalent to Frank's job interviews and 'first days' is her constant embarrassing behaviour around her love interest, Gary . . .

I liked Miranda but I would not class her as female Frank Spencer. Frank was way funnier, not like Miranda.

Cant see that comparison, Miranda - to Frank Spencer.
Spencer was surely mentally challenged and inadequate to every situation.
As a kid I was feeling uneasy that he was capable of breeding :)

What about a cross over Miranda AND Frank Spencer - Is that an idea or what..Actually Rigsby with Miranda in the Ms Jones role would be interesting..
Spect theres a thread for this type of Speculation

Frank Spencer was our clown back then and Miranda is one we have now.

That's what I meant. Mr Bean is another obvious modern clown, but I wouldn't necessarily put him in context/category of situation comedy - maybe just general comedy, but am probably wrong . . . Teary

I get your point.

As an exercise I can't thing of a contemporary comedian to actually rival vacant Frank Spencer.

Mr Bean is crafty, sometimes ingenious.

Homer Simpson might be a distant relation.

Nope can't think -

[sly grin crosses flooks face ]
But I know who Franks spencers dad is The Worker

We just don't have the 'physical' comedy actors now, probably because the ones we had drew inspiration from Chaplin, Harold Lloyd and Laurel and Hardy.

But I love this prequel idea (I read from Keeping Up Appearances thread) as you can never re-visit something as successful and be as good (far too risky anyway as some might see as sacrilege and switch off because we are quite protective and precious even, of certain comedic gems), but 'the early lives of' idea could actually work as would not be trying to regurgitate a classic so much.

Imagine Basil Fawlty meeting and courting Sybil? A young Frank could also be intriguing, but again - who to play? Perhaps an unknown on TV as there must be so much new talent, but no new or suitable roles . . . :P

P.S.: Lee Evans is also a modern 'clown' who has also proved himself as an actor . . . but I saw him at Edinburgh Festival a couple of times and even I was exhausted just watching him!

The early years..hmm...Later years sound good too ..'Son of Frank' pre-eminent bungler extraordinary with the sensible sister he is fore ever dragging down. Cue modern travails engaging low paid work/ shoddy accommodation..
I can see him at the bottom of a pecking order in a fully automated factory being bossed about by the machines on one hand and studying him on the other as they are engage in a secret agenda to escape the factory by pretending to be human ..and guess who the role model is..

I have a habit of going off the subject.

Lee evans Yes his antics can tire one, as well as shedding buckets of sweat

I just don't know enough actors who could play young frank

It's back, March 18th! https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/2030/frank_spencer_sport_relief_2016/

No idea how they'll work this, does anyone know if it's still being written by Raymond Allen? When they say it's a Sport Relief special, I hope it's more than a sketch, like the Only Fools one was, but who knows?

Quote: reds @ 9th October 2015, 1:50 PM BST

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolloomooloo Indicates that it may go back to old Aboriginal words.

Although born in Cape Town, Bill Kerr lived in Wagga Wagga, New South Wales - just thought I would chuck that in. :D

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 18th February 2016, 9:10 AM GMT

No idea how they'll work this, does anyone know if it's still being written by Raymond Allen? When they say it's a Sport Relief special, I hope it's more than a sketch, like the Only Fools one was, but who knows?

Yes, it is just a sketch, and as far as we're aware Raymond Allen has written it.

Shame it's just a sketch. Then again, I suppose it shouldn't outstay its welcome (plus having Bradley Wiggins in it makes me think there could be some stunt with Frank and a bicycle, hope Michael Crawford can cope!)

Didn't the Spencers have a daughter? Maybe she takes after Frank?