Going to see stand-up Page 3

I'd kill to see stuart lee live! I love that man.

Funniest, i've actually seen though, has to be Russel Howard. So much funnier in his stand up than on Mock Of The Week. He really comes into his own on stage. My stomach was actually flatter the next day from all the laughing.

Yes to Stewart Lee. I want to see Richard Herring too.

But you can always be lazy and watch him deal with a heckler on youtube instead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8IQYSp0EuE&watch_response

Richard Herring's last show (F**k, I'm Forty) was very entertaining too. Both he and Lee's DVD's available at www.gofasterstripe.com if you can't get to see them.

Also, you have a week to see Stewart Lee live as he's not doing his 41st Best Stand-Up Show after the 20th. (There will be a DVD though!) http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/gigs.htm

He's supported by Henning Wehn this week, who I've never seen live but he's one of the funniest contestants on (best radio programme ever) Fighting Talk when he's on.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ April 13 2008, 12:03 PM BST

He's supported by Henning Wehn this week, who I've never seen live but he's one of the funniest contestants on (best radio programme ever) Fighting Talk when he's on.

Is there a Fighting Talk thread somewhere? That show makes me laugh more than anything else at present. I think ll the presenters have done a good job but Colin Murray is the best.

Er... back on topic. I think Tim Vine's a great comic but appreciate he's a bit Marmite. I also remember seeing Nick Wilty a while back and being very impressed.

Quote: catskillz @ April 13 2008, 12:37 AM BST

The stand up who made me laught the most, was Simon Day, from The Fast Show. Oh, and as for Jack Dee, he is the most overrated stand up in the country. He just personifies the word Mediocre.

Do you like Spaced?

P.S. Thread 6666! :O

Quote: Badge @ April 13 2008, 12:10 PM BST

Is there a Fighting Talk thread somewhere? That show makes me laugh more than anything else at present. I think ll the presenters have done a good job but Colin Murray is the best.

Not on here but I'll join in if you start one (though I am usually about eight weeks behind on podcast).

There is a Fighting Talk Appreciation Society on Facebook though -- and it *is* very funny (if I can be so bold as to recommend a different forum...)

Dan

Just been listening to Fighting Talk on podcast. Good stuff. Always good to find out about something that I didnt know. Cheers guys. :)

Oh, practically all the podcasts there have ever been can be downloaded if anybody wanted to listen to them (about four years' worth!). Have a look at the 'Podcasts' thread in the aforementioned Facebook group: the instructions on where to go/how to log in are all there.

Dan

Quote: Aaron @ April 13 2008, 1:30 PM BST

Do you like Spaced?

P.S. Thread 6666! :O

Spaced??

Lots of big and good names mentioned in this thread but do any of you ever get to the lesser gigs where you can often see the same people as at least part of the night for about £4 or £5.

There's certainly been an explosion of clubs since I was last involved.

Too many names to list here of people I thought were good. Maybe later.

Glad someone mentioned Stephen K Amos cos I can't wait to see him.

Anyone seen Roger Monkhouse? Reported to be very good.

Like I said in the original post - "Roar With Laughter" comedy night, have LOADS of great names (including Stephen K Amos and others) and all for £7...plus it's in a normal pub, so there are normal pub prices too.

Quote: EllieJP @ April 14 2008, 5:52 PM BST

Like I said in the original post - "Roar With Laughter" comedy night, have LOADS of great names (including Stephen K Amos and others) and all for £7...plus it's in a normal pub, so there are normal pub prices too.

If it's London, £4 a pint then :P

Quote: EllieJP @ April 14 2008, 5:52 PM BST

Oh yeah! Looks good. Website shows some big names in that 12 years they've been going.

Shame I can't find future listings in that short time tho.

I've seen some pretty funny lesser tier names in my time too.

If you get the chance > Brian Damage and Crystal, Robert White, Jim Grant (as a compere), Inel (impressive newbie), Victor Daniels, Helmut, John Newton, Toby Caldwell, Reeves Peterson, loads more.

Quote: Paul W @ April 14 2008, 6:06 PM BST

If it's London, £4 a pint then :P

Only for you tourists son. Rolling eyes

Quote: thing @ April 14 2008, 6:14 PM BST

Only for you tourists son. Rolling eyes

I can fit in I swear, I'll start liking coffee and everything!

Quote: Paul W @ April 14 2008, 6:18 PM BST

I can fit in I swear, I'll start liking coffee and everything!

No, seriously, when Ellie says pub prices I think she means c£3 a pint.

Mind you, it is a bit 'posher' over that side of town.

Upper tier - a brilliant one but not club gigging at the moment unless I'm mistaken > Phil Jupitus!

An entire set based around Star Trek a few years back and one on TV about spiders - brilliant.