My Family - Series 8 Page 9

Quote: Richard Wells @ May 14 2008, 7:36 PM BST

Great to have you aboard Cheyenne.

And you have good taste in comedy :)

And pepper.

Oh, hang on, that's cayenne!

Quote: Cheyenne @ May 14 2008, 7:32 PM BST

Hi fellow "My Family" fans!! I'm an American and watch this show every weekend. I don't watch Britcoms too often but this show is hilarious! I'm glad to be here and thanks for letting me join the forum. Wave

Hello indeed, and welcome! :)

And Richard, yes, great character. I'd worry that they'd explored everything of him that they could though.

Was he explored as a character then ?, I need to catch up on some old episodes.

I just thought he said stupid things all the time lol.

Yeah. That's pretty much all there was to him!

Quote: Richard Wells @ May 14 2008, 6:29 PM BST

I'm just watching a early episode on UK gold and Stupid Brian's in it.

I wish he had stayed around for other series.

I too thought he was a great character.

Wish he'd come back. Of course, Stupid Brian was played by Kevin Bishop - now better known for Star Stories and soon to hit the big time with his own Channel 4 series - so I guess that's unlikely.

Oh, I don't remember him being in My Family at all.

He was Janey's boyfriend. On sporadically through the second or third series, IIRC.

Janey's boyfriend ... Bastard.

Anyway. He also played Jim Hawkins in Muppet Treasure Island.

So Abbi has always wanted to serve God? Funny she never mentioned it before!! ;)

Last night's episode was the first that I'd seen for ages and it was unbelievably bad. I hope that one of the two main actors decides to quit the show soon to put it out of its misery.

Quote: Nick @ May 24 2008, 11:09 AM BST

Last night's episode was the first that I'd seen for ages and it was unbelievably bad. I hope that one of the two main actors decides to quit the show soon to put it out of its misery.

And that was the best episode of the series. >_<

The way it ended, it looks like Abi won't be returning next series then?

I tell you what, My Family trying to add a bit of pathos and drama really doesn't work does it, but I can see they must have been a bit stuck for a storyline - somehow needing to explain how Roger and Abi had split, in a way that allowed for Roger to continue.

Never claimed to have been a fan of My Family, but do fans think it's running out of steam now? Successful long-running sitcoms tend to last because we care enough about the characters to want to know how their lives change over the years. Does My Family have characters sufficiently likeable and interesting that anybody cares how they develop, or what happens to them anymore? If not, should MF call it a day?

Yea, i think perhaps it has come to the end of the road.

So Abbi's left and Roger's staying. I am glad. Now, about getting rid of Alfie ...

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 24 2008, 3:35 PM BST

Never claimed to have been a fan of My Family, but do fans think it's running out of steam now? Successful long-running sitcoms tend to last because we care enough about the characters to want to know how their lives change over the years. Does My Family have characters sufficiently likeable and interesting that anybody cares how they develop, or what happens to them anymore? If not, should MF call it a day?

I think there's still quite a bit of room for the show. I'd like to see it for another couple of series' at least. But they do DESPERATELY need to get rid of Alfie. There is NOTHING redeeming about him or his character at all. He's just annoying, dull, and doesn't fit in with anything else about the show at all.