Al Murray

Thought this chat show made a promising start last night. The guests could have been better and there was a lot of shameless publicizing of ITV shows but at least he made no attempt to hide that and hopefully it will do well in the ratings.

In so far as ITV are anti entertainment, and given the commets made above by Nick, at least this was something that wasn't too bad. One day they'll come up with something as splendid as 'Seaside Special' but until then this will have to do.

I'm glad they're putting comedy on ITV, but I don't really find his Pub Landlord character very funny.
I used to like some of the other stuff he did on Harry Hill though, ages back.

i liked his show last night, f*ck knows who his guests were, but i enjoyed it, according to that singer, there i 9 million bicycles in beijing, lying cow, i counted 9,572,903, anyway, it was a good show, the highlight for me was his opening routine, with the audience,

NEW SIG

I heard Murray's going to be trying out some characters soon, it seems he's getting a sketch show on ITV. Well, that's what i read on chortle.co.uk

p.s. I didn't watch this btw.

Yeah, good show. Went to the recording on Tuesday, and I'm surprised they didn't show him actually throwing that Australian guy out of the studio (very funny sequence). Ah well, still a good episode. Doesn't live up to the excellent Time Gentlemen Please, of course.

Also looking forward to the new sketch show. Also sounds like it'll be quite good.

Just as a by the by but soon after Al Murry I switched over to 'Mock The Week'. A bit smug but very funny all the same. Yes, I could have started a fresh thread but hopefully we'll not split hairs over this blatant act of sloth.

Don't worry, we all do it!

Incidentally, this is the first series of Mock The Week that I haven't had tickets to see at least one recording of. Bit of useless trivia there for you.

Fascinating, Aaron. ;)

I love Mock the Week. Is it made by the same people as Whose Line Is It Anyway?

I know. My life is just packed with excitement. \o/

Re WLIIA, I don't think so, but not going to stake any money on it.

When you see Mock the Week live, is it more obvious that most of it is scripted? How scripted is it, actually?

There is obviously quite a bit of scripting, yes, but one gets the feeling that it's not strictly adhered to like with a sitcom (more of an outline/guide than a full script, I suppose). They go off on tangents, try jokes which really don't get a laugh at all, and generally engage in time-wasting banter.

I like the obviously tangent-y bits best, like the elves.

If you can, you really do need to go to a recording for the full experience. They always cut out the best bits, and those tangents go much, MUCH further than they would ever dare broadcast on national television.

It does sound good.
And more Frankie Boyle can never be a bad thing.