Al Murray Page 4

William Makepeace.

Quote: Aaron @ September 30 2013, 10:55 PM BST

William Makepeace.

;)

Yes - I did realise.

Saw him live last year. Watched The Pub Landlord live at the London Palladium on Netflix last night. Crying out loud funny. Number one on my funny comedians list.

Quote: Will Cam @ 1st May 2015, 1:30 PM BST

Saw him live last year. Watched The Pub Landlord live at the London Palladium on Netflix last night. Crying out loud funny. Number one on my funny comedians list.

Saw him in Wolves. Superb.

Saw him live in Edinburgh. He was ace, but I was mostly scared he was going to pick on me throughout.

I have just seen on this very site that Al Murray is touring at the back end of the year. Delighted to say I have just bought tickets.

The very first time I watched Al Murray live (on DVD, not in attendance), it was one of the funniest things I've seen. It was 'My Gaff, My Rules' one.

However, the downside to his stand-up is that he's performing as a scripted character. This means that every single stand-up I've seen of him since just isn't that funny and never, ever changes. It's the same old stuff. This was confirmed when I watched him in Bristol a few years back. Half of his show is asking the audience their names, followed by asking what their job is, to then saying how beautifully British they all are.

Just isn't that clever. One trick-pony me thinks.

I did however enjoy Time Gentlemen Please! - in theory, a really shit comedy, but the silliness still made me laugh and I love a one-scene studio audience sitcom.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 26th October 2017, 6:48 PM

The very first time I watched Al Murray live (on DVD, not in attendance), it was one of the funniest things I've seen. It was 'My Gaff, My Rules' one.

However, the downside to his stand-up is that he's performing as a scripted character. This means that every single stand-up I've seen of him since just isn't that funny and never, ever changes. It's the same old stuff. This was confirmed when I watched him in Bristol a few years back. Half of his show is asking the audience their names, followed by asking what their job is, to then saying how beautifully British they all are.

Is that all you've seen? He does the same basic audience interaction at the start of every show, but the content that follows is really quite different. Yes, of course some are funnier than others, but it's always entertaining.

Quote: Aaron @ 27th October 2017, 2:42 PM

Is that all you've seen? He does the same basic audience interaction at the start of every show, but the content that follows is really quite different. Yes, of course some are funnier than others, but it's always entertaining.

I've seen plenty of his stuff and it appears to be the same old political satire each time.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 3rd November 2017, 9:56 PM

I've seen plenty of his stuff and it appears to be the same old political satire each time.

Political satire? Where? When?