Sitcom continuity errors Page 5

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 20th August 2018, 7:36 PM

Stuff like that was more common then and it happened a lot in the Young Ones too. One that stands out is when Neil opens the kitchen cupboard and all the plates come crashing down. You can clearly see a pair of hands pushing it.

But it's things like that that make it funnier.

Quote: Chappers @ 20th August 2018, 9:43 PM

But it's things like that that make it funnier.

Absolutmot and it helped towards the alternative vibe.

There's an episode of Dad's Army where Mainwaring and others are watching some of the platoon through binoculars for some reason. Walker is one of the ones watching, but at the same is one of the ones basing watched. I am too lazy to dig about and find which one.

Teary When I've got a spare year I'll sift through my boxset to find that one. Wouldn't be Walker's fault though, he couldn't do anything wrong that bloke him and Wilson.

In long series I tend to overlook continuity errors as it can't be easy cataloguing every plot point especially in the days of typewriters. Poor editing infuriates me though and watching an Auf Weidersen ep other day Bomber was halfway through a stein then in the next shot in same scene his glass was nearly full again.Pirate steam kick kick

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 20th August 2018, 7:36 PM

Stuff like that was more common then

Yeah, but that's not why they did it.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 21st August 2018, 10:12 AM

Yeah, but that's not why they did it.

I know they didn't do it on purpose I meant that kind of stuff that was new and slightly anarchic so it fitted the alternative comedy scene. Shows now probably do lots of takes from different angles so if they have plenty of options in the cutting room. I don't mind that kind of thing on a sitcom or sketch show but definitely not a drama as it would ruin it. Cracker wouldn't have been anywhere as near as popular if the sets wobbled.

Online reviews of Filthy Prick and C**tflap are pretty positive - strange cos at the time most people were disappointed. And if I remember rightly, the general press line was scathing - they're trying to copy the energy and excitement of the Young Ones but failing.

I think it's because everyone wanted a Young Ones II but that wasn't possible because it's very rare for a sequel to be as good as or better than the original and probably not very constructive to try. It's also not as surreal because there are times when they do a piece to the camera which never happened in anything else I can think of including the Comic Strips.

Not sure how much truth in it but I read that there was only one series because Rik and Ben had a falling out over the writing.

That was the great thing about Happy Families - it was true to form but strikingly different.
There was a long radio interview with Ben and Helen Lederer circa 1990. Even he wasn't too proud of this moment: He said he was excited but not disciplined, there were too many fart gags, and there was some confusion over who was writing it. He wrote the scripts fast thinking he'd then work them over with Rik, but by the time he found out, it was time to start filming... You can almost feel Mayall trying to do his best.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 22nd August 2018, 7:18 PM

do a piece to the camera which never happened in anything else I can think of including the Comic Strips.

They do it all the time in The Young Ones.

Of course how could I forget. I really should think before I post when I'm tired. One that spings to mind is £1.63 from Neil. I have to find that radio interview because Ben Elton is very talented so he shouldn't be too hard on his work. It's all experience but I can see his point in a way. If you read through all the extra characters that appeared in Filthy on IMDB most have bum themed names :D No doubt hilarious to pen at the time and you should never forget your roots.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 24th August 2018, 10:26 PM

I have to find that radio interview.

It's probably rarer than a virgin in light entertainment. I taped it back then but my parents must've thrown it out. F**kers threw ME out the f**king house, why would they keep a f**king Helen Lederer tape?
What struck me was how enthusiastic / smug Ben was about all his work thus far - except this one. He immediately felt the need to defend it ('I would actually still commend it... I watch the occasional episode with Rik, and it's not bad') but then went through its flaws as per my last post. Not his proudest moment.

How many continuity errors were there in Till Death I wonder?

Letting the Big Top run onto a second episode was a terrible continuity error.

Friends had quiet a few, e.g. : https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/617253/Friends-Comedy-Central-Jennifer-Aniston-Matthew-Perry-continuity-errors

You can forgive small errors, but when they swap a member of the cast as if nothing has happened. As with Fresh Prince or Rosanne. The audacity, are we to assume it's plastic surgery ?

And Matt's wife Dolly in Emmerdale Farm.

Quote: Firkin @ 30th August 2018, 5:15 PM

Letting the Big Top run onto a second episode was a terrible continuity error.

Absolutely correct.

I'm pretty sure there has never been a BCG member who couldn't write a better comedy series than that.

John Thomson cites Big Top as the worst thing that's ever happened to him in his life.