Sitcom continuity errors Page 2

Quote: Leevil @ March 2, 2008, 9:27 PM

But does it matter David, does it matter?

Does what matter? I was only pointing it out?

Quote: David Chapman @ March 2, 2008, 9:35 PM

I was only pointing it out?

Are you asking me if you was only pointing it out?

Quote: Seefacts @ March 2, 2008, 8:59 PM

Yes, everything is wrong with it.

:O EMBRACE YOUR GEEKDOM.

Quote: Leevil @ March 2, 2008, 9:37 PM

Are you asking me if you was only pointing it out?

No - I'm pointing out that I was pointing it out.

What now or then?

I don't think any of it matters. Rather than continuity, I'm more concerned that they didn't do enough re-takes on some of the older shows, given how doddery and creaky they look now. Mind you, in the case of Dad's Army they might have been pushing to get any re-takes at all by the end, bless 'em.

Another continuity "error" - in Curb Your Enthusiasm, Jeff's child "Sammy" (who was originally referred to, off-screen, as a boy) changes gender just so that we can have the joy of the episode "The Doll".

I never noticed that lol. Although now thinking about it, I've always thought there was a boy we never saw, this must be why.

Quote: Leevil @ March 2, 2008, 9:45 PM

What now or then?

Sorry - can we take that again? I can't remember where we were.

I think it does matter, the fact that you notice these things means you are taking away focus from the show. Its basically ruining your own show with lazy writing/research. Avid fans of sitcoms will notice these things, and they are the ones you want to watch the shows again and again.

I find there are less and less continuity errors in new Sitcoms. I used to actually get annoyed with them when watching the Simpsons but I was a little obsessive over that show when I was a kid.

Continiuty errors dont matter but if you were making a sitcom which you wanted to be believeable and in touch with reality then surely the less mistakes the better. If you're just playing for laughs then fair enough, who cares about mistakes.

This weeks Lost; Sawyers hair kept going up-down-up-down and that wasn't just because he was shagging Kate.

In Only Fools, they could never quite decide how old Rodney was when his Mum died.

Marlene's mum appeared in an episode of Only Fools in about 1990, then turned up in Green, Green Grass in 2007 looking younger.

The major one for me, is Freddie the Frog. In 'A Frog's Legacy', Delboy doesn't know of Freddie the Frog, yet come the final episode, he'd always known Freddie was Rodney's Dad and he was in photo with him on a jolly boys outing years earlier.

Quote: zooo @ March 2, 2008, 9:01 PM

The main one in Friends was the fact that some of them met for the first time in the first episode, then five series later they decided they'd all known each other at college.

Stoopid.

You sure? In the pilot monica introduces rachel to phoebe, joe and chandler and says "and you know my brother ross" Rachel had only known chandler in passing as her friends, brothers friend, at school so it was no big deal to intro her like that. Not a huge leap to get to the later episodes.

I'm sure I read a whole long article where they admitted they made some big leaps, but of course now I can't remember any of it!