Sitcom continuity errors Page 6

But he still took the money for it. That's modern comedians for you, mercenary. Moaning about the quality of your vehicle make you a hypocrite.

Changing actors is a contractual thing that still happens in US sitcoms because the series are so long, it's a bit hard to avoid. But when there's a bit hit show like Friends or Frasier I believe they make the actors such huge offers with a loyalty dividend that means they effectively double their money if they stay till the end.

In Britain we have things like loyalty to a show people love, I believe a thing that made Jason change his mind about leaving OFAH. Only fools would leave, eh. Good morning.

Not really a continuity error, but I always hated the way they used a joke rat in the last Fawlty Towers ep. You laugh for the wrong reason. That kinda stuff's funny in Monty Python or the Young Ones - here it's totally outa place.

That actual rat came up on The Antiques Roadshow a few months back.
Think they said it was worth about £100

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 20th August 2018, 10:13 AM

Not really a continuity error, but at the end of FilthRichAndCatflap, you can clearly see the overhead mike

Actually that may just be the difference between what contemporary TV broadcasts displayed, and the full resolution of modern DVDs. Edges of the picture would originally have been lost, so something like a microphone appearing in shot on a DVD may not have actually been evident in the programme as made.

Still a shoddy series though...
I actually noticed it on the vhs - I never bothered with the DVD. I'm amazed it got the 25th anniversary treatment. It's essentially Bottom, but not as sophisticated.

Not a sitcom but a TV film of a play called Cor, Blimey!, which aired in 2000. I enjoy it but it is riddled with errors, Whilst Barbara Windsor's character is auditioning for a role in Emmannuelle, which was made in 1978, she is talking about whether to go to Sid James's funeral - even though he died two years previously. I'm sure there are some other continuity errors in it too. Anyone else seen it?

Quote: comical masterpiece @ 3rd September 2018, 7:56 PM

Whilst Barbara Windsor's character is auditioning for a role in Emmannuelle, which was made in 1978, she is talking about whether to go to Sid James's funeral - even though he died two years previously.

Surely that's not correct?

In the film "Cor, Blimey!" while Sid's funeral is taking place, Barbara is seen at auditions for (if I recognise the dialogue correctly) a production of "Twelfth Night".

I do, in any event, know that that very play was performed at the Festival Theatre, Chichester, a few weeks after Sid's death, and that Barbara played the part of Maria.

In Men Behaving Badly, Gary is seen as being able to drive (not confirmed in show if he was driving legally or illegally) in an early series, but during the last series, he couldn't even drive forwards and eventually drove straight into a tree.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd September 2018, 11:01 PM

Surely that's not correct?

In the film "Cor, Blimey!" while Sid's funeral is taking place, Barbara is seen at auditions for (if I recognise the dialogue correctly) a production of "Twelfth Night".

I do, in any event, know that that very play was performed at the Festival Theatre, Chichester, a few weeks after Sid's death, and that Barbara played the part of Maria.

You may be right. I'm sure there are some errors in this though, nevertheless I enjoyed it. It came on TV a couple or three years ago and still have it on my planner.

Not a trad sitcom, but in Coogan's Run - Thursday Night Fever - Mike pretends to be his fictional agent Clint. When other acts hear about Clint, they phone Mike's house and even turn up there to audition.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 17th July 2018, 12:16 PM

In HHGTG, Arthur needs a Bablefish to understand the Vogon - just after said Vogon communicates to 'people of Earth' in perfect English (which every nation understands, even the Americans)... In that awful fourth boook, the demolition never even happened, which makes a mockery of everything so far, especially the narrator's repeated references to 'the only two survivors'. Bollox.

I always felt HHGTG was over after the second bout, and then it was just about money. There's a pleasing finality to the end of Restaurant..., and it's rewritten just to eke out more. Arthur throws the 'Guide' away - Ford fishes it out. Marvin dies - turns out he was actually rescued at the last minute. The notion that the Earth's demolition was just 'mass hallucination' can't possibly have been the original idea. File under, 'It was all a dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

The Royle Family. Series 1 1998 Antony was 15. Series 2 1999 Antony turns 18. That isn't right

Quote: Wheel @ 14th November 2018, 7:26 PM

The Royle Family. Series 1 1998 Antony was 15. Series 2 1999 Antony turns 18. That isn't right

The show, like any, isn't necessarily always running alongside real time.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 17th July 2018, 12:16 PM

In HHGTG, Arthur needs a Bablefish to understand the Vogon - just after said Vogon communicates to 'people of Earth' in perfect English (which every nation understands, even the Americans)... .

I always championed the Babel Fish as an ingenious solution to the age-old language problem, but recently, someone told me it still doesn't work on the telly - cos they lipsync English! I guess it'd be too complicated and distracting to have them lip-speaking alien with English dubbed in, but I genuinely never thought of that. Yet another reason why radio was its best medium.

In Frasier, Daphne's family come from Manchester but support United.