Sitcom continuity errors

Anyone notice a lot of these?

The more I watch repeats of shows, the more I notice them. I guess that when a lot of the older sitcoms were made, little consideration was given to them being watched time and again.

There are some clangers in Dad's Army, Mrs Fox having the name Marcia in one episode and Mildred in another, and the verger's wife being called Beryl, Tracy and Anthea.

I think the most notorious was The Liver Birds, where the families of the main characters swapped around upon its 1990s revival. If I remember rightly (unlike Carla Lane).

Small things I tend not to notice.

Although Susan's mother in My Family keeps changing actress, not even similar in appearance.

Red Dwarf had loads of errors.

Number of people on the ship, what year it was set etc.

Friends is pretty bad for them too.

Quote: Leevil @ March 2, 2008, 4:45 PM

Friends is pretty bad for them too.

Monica telling Rachel she was 'uncomfortable picking people's sex clothes', yet she happily wanted Rachel to do so a few series later.

Joey mentioning he pictures Elle McPherson sometimes . . . Shame he didn't recognise her a few season later when she lived with him! (Not quite continuity, but I'm a bit of Friends geek)

Quote: Seefacts @ March 2, 2008, 4:46 PM

(Not quite continuity, but I'm a bit of Friends geek)

Anyone who likes Friends is a geek.

Surely it doen't matter so much with sitcoms. The laughter's the main thing.

In Two in Clover, the landlord of the pub played by Victor Platt was called Dan in series one and then called Tom in series two.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 2, 2008, 6:20 PM

Anyone who likes Friends is a geek.

What's wrong with being a geek?

Nothing. In fact, quite the opposite.

Quote: Aaron @ March 2, 2008, 8:50 PM

Nothing. In fact, quite the opposite.

Yes, everything is wrong with it.

The main one in Friends was the fact that some of them met for the first time in the first episode, then five series later they decided they'd all known each other at college.

Stoopid.

The Simpsons is the worst! Their house constantly changes shape, depending on where they're sitting, it's a cartoon so doesn't really count, but still if you're drawing it, surely you have more control over these things?

Quote: Leevil @ March 2, 2008, 9:03 PM

The Simpsons is the worst! Their house constantly changes shape, depending on where they're sitting, it's a cartoon so doesn't really count, but still if you're drawing it, surely you have more control over these things?

Yeah, there's a door that's sometimes a cupboard and sometimes a basement.

And Moe's Tavern moves all over the place.

Quote: Leevil @ March 2, 2008, 9:03 PM

It only matters if nerds keep pointing these things out.

I'm sure that's half the fun of it being animated. It can be changed for the story's benefit without any trouble.

Now Continuity in Drama is a different matter. Like Ray's moustache in Ashes to Ashes.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 2, 2008, 9:25 PM

It only matters if nerds keep pointing these things out.

But does it matter David, does it matter?