Sitcom continuity errors Page 4

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th July 2018, 8:00 AM

The Royle Family is full of continuity errors.

Dave's dad was supposed to have had a pronounced limp (limp along Leslie etc)
But when he showed in a Christmas special - there was no bad leg.

Barbara said they'd been married 27 years then later they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

Are you sure?

Barbara said they'd been married 27 years then later they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

Isn't that the natural order of things?

Dave's dad seemed able bodied here.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 13th July 2018, 10:58 PM

Your hobby is posting on forums about people who nit-pick certain continuity errors.

That is disrespectful. To the Spice Girls.
Hours of fun. And Big Bang Theory always semed so credible. http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/feature/a824034/tv-continuity-errors/

Quite a few goofs in Ultimate Force but I still like it. One of the most glaring is when Ross Kemp is seen about to take a swig from a bottle even though the cap is still cleary on it.

In the Office Christmas Specials David Brent says how he won an employment tribunal against Wernam Hogg for constructive dismissal and won £42,000 but there is no way any business would then allow that person to continue visiting the office and definitely not leave them there unsupervised like when he has to hang around for 3 hours while everyone is at the Christmas meal. Being banned from all premises is probably a standard condition with any payout agreement but then it wouldn't have been very funny if he couldn't go back there and introduce people to his dog.

The Royle Family is full of continuity errors.

Dave's dad was supposed to have had a pronounced limp (limp along Leslie etc)
But when he showed in a Christmas special - there was no bad leg.

Yeah - I was always unconvinced by Dave senior when we finally met him. Completely not the character they had sort of described him. I was imaginging him to be a bit dead-pan, unassuming and keeping himself to himself. They definitely missed the mark and opportunity to make his character a bit cry-baby like. It would have been amusing to see him more or less on a par with Jim, but less subtle with it and for Jim to be glaring at him for the way he's acts etc.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 16th July 2018, 10:04 AM

Isn't that the natural order of things?

Ha-ha-ha!

Could have been together and unmarried for the first 23 years?Errr

Not a continuity error but something just not right.
In Frasier, Daphne's family come from Manchester but support United.

In HHGTG, Arthur needs a Bablefish to understand the Vogon - just after said Vogon communicates to 'people of Earth' in perfect English (which every nation understands, even the Americans)... In that awful fourth boook, the demolition never even happened, which makes a mockery of everything so far, especially the narrator's repeated references to 'the only two survivors'. Bollox.
In The Young Ones' Cash, Vyvyan's baby is a false alarm, but real enough to kick Wrik and send him into the fireplace.
In Happy Families, the second sister is baptised Madelaine, but her liaison only starts when she's older - coincidence? Also, I've never got the relationship between Edith and Guy. Despite the age difference, the action implies she's the mother - she's certainly like my mother, and I say that with all due respect to Edith. This implies Grandma is an unaffectionate nickname, but on several occasions she talks to him about her ex-hubby as 'YOUR grandfather.' If there is a generation inbetween, why are they never mentioned, and why did they let her kick their daughters out? I guess we'll never know.
In Tom and Jerry, the poor feline is burnt to a crisp but returns a picture of health in the next scene. This is impossible unless he had plaastic surgery, but how would a domestic beast raise such money? He could use the NHS, but the waiting lists are massive and this would contradict the strict chronology of the episode. They must have made this part up and used stunning special effects or a stuntcat.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 17th July 2018, 12:16 PM

In The Young Ones' Cash, Vyvyan's baby is a false alarm, but real enough to kick Wrik and send him into the fireplace.

Shut up or Piss off.

One of their best.
Finally: In the Young Ones, Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson are fantabulous. In Bottom, they are tired and formulaic.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th July 2018, 4:45 PM

n it wouldn't have been very funny if he couldn't go back there and introduce people to his dog.

Good point. Occasionally you have to sacrifice logic for laughs. There was a mini-sitcom for learners of English 'Extra' and in one episode the girl's twin sister comes to visit and she keeps it a secret from her room mates so she can play a joke. Obviously it's impossible that you could live with someone for years and never know she had a twin - and said twin is never mentioned again. But it's a fun ploy for one episode.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 17th July 2018, 12:16 PM

In Happy Families,, I've never got the relationship between Edith and Guy. Despite the age difference, the action implies she's the mother - she's certainly like my mother, and I say that with all due respect to Edith. This implies Grandma is an unaffectionate nickname, but on several occasions she talks to him about her ex-hubby as 'YOUR grandfather.' If there is a generation inbetween, why are they never mentioned, and why did they let her kick their daughters out?.

All is explained on Wikipedia (so it must be true). They must've cut this (and 5798 other key elements) from the UK Gold repeats.
I promise to shut up about this show for several minutes.

Quote: Bill Poster @ 16th July 2018, 9:27 PM

Not a continuity error but something just not right.
In Frasier, Daphne's family come from Manchester but support United.

:)

Not really a continuity error, but at the end of FilthRichAndCatflap, you can clearly see the overhead mike - typical of the commitment and passion they dedicated to this project. Shoddy, unfocussed, forced... The Young Ones knocked me out and when I got used to Happy Families' more sobre style I was hooked all over again, but this was - the Nolans and Mel Smith eps excepted - the beginning of the end.
I '''''''''''met'''''''''' Alexei Sayle at this time as he was recording 'Roy of the Rovers'. He said, 'The Young Ones was great, certainly better than the crap they're churning out now.' Would you dare argue with Lex?

Stuff like that was more common then and it happened a lot in the Young Ones too. One that stands out is when Neil opens the kitchen cupboard and all the plates come crashing down. You can clearly see a pair of hands pushing it. Would love to meet Alexei because he was a complete lunatic.