Keeping Up Apearances

Am i alone in loving every minute of this sitcom.
I mean yes the neighbour Emmet is a bit of an over actor, But Patricia Routledge makes up for that 10 fold. What a fabulous show this is.
I have seen each episode numerous times.
Dont get me wrong i love my Only fools, Fawlty Towers, etc,i am not putting this sitcom on par wiith them, i am merely starting this thread because most people i talk too disagree with me.
My very own Husband is one of these people.
How can anyone not find this classic, Oh so very funny and entertaining.
I literaly weed when the milkman had to deal with the following query.*I will not have my bottles filled with the milk by just any old cow* and the postman *I will not have second class stamped envelopes thrust through my door*

Opinions please

I love Keeping Up Appearances. It is a classic. Very very funny.

"The Bucket residence the lady of the house speaking" never gets old! It makes me giggle like a little girl. :)

I have all the DVDs and it reminds me of sunday tea times when it was originally on. I'd sit with my mum and dad and watch it and we all enjoyed it.
I'm watching the series in order now as the sunday repeats are a mix of all series.

Patricia Routledge is a fantastic comic actress and she holds the show together. An actress of lesser talents may not have had such a success on her hands.

Of course, the character owes a debt to Victoria Wood's creation, 'Kitty' from 'Victoria Wood As Seen on TV', who was written for Patricia Routledge specifically.

KITTY QUOTES

"I've become so popular, people hide in shop doorways when they see me coming because they feel inadequate!"

"If I were Prime Minister... and thank goodness I'm not because I've been the length and breadth of Downing Street and never spotted a decent wool shop!..."

"She said 'I'm a radical post-feminist lesbian!'. And I thought; 'What would the Queen Mum do?' so I just smiled and said; 'We shall have fog by tea-time!'
She said 'are you intimidated by my sexual preferences?', I said; 'No, and I'm not too struck with your donkey jacket either!'"

OK - I may be paraphrasing these, but I'm at work and they're all from memory...

I really like Keeping Up Appearances as well. Patricia Routledge is superb and Geoffrey Hughes is great as well. When I think about this show, Summer Wine and Open All Hours it makes me realise how underrated Roy Clarke is as a writer by some people.

If anything, Roy Clarke is certainly consistant!! (Which is rare in comedy writers!)

charlie..we get the show in the states once a week and I have it on dvd..We love it and really like Onslo..If you could see the "out takes" you would laugh nearly as much as the show..It is sad both of the women that played Rose died so young.It is not my favorite British show, there are just to many good comedies from over there to enjoy.Guess the writers over there are more talented than over the pond..here they rely on beauty and sex to make to many shows funny..Over there they just use great actors..Abot the Emmet character he started looking really ill toward the last and had lost a lot of weight..people here think he had aids,,Valentine.

Nick...Roy Clarke is a genious of a writer.If he can make up jokes for as many years as he has he has to be one of the worlds greatest comedy writers!!Valentine

Love it. Good, inoffensive humour. Oh-so quintessentially British. :)

Valentine, I can't say that I had really noticed that. I think it unlikely that he did have aids though. Do remember he was 52 years-old at the time of the last series.

it is a good ambassador for british comedy, i like the charachters personality clashes, i mean lets face it, who dosn't know a hyacinth, it is a sitcom that i can watch for a long non-stop period but i can't explain why, i guess it's just not boring, the acting was simply marvelous and the writing was nothing short of consistantly good.

(i think it's time for a new siganature)

I must confess to catching on late to this excellent programme. Although I've never made a point of watching back-to-back episodes, I am quite a keen convert. The one episode that really stands out is when Hyacinth buys a very small unit in a stately home conversion. Clichéd and perhaps a little over the top but, nevertheless, one of the funniest episodes of any programme I have ever seen in recent times.

Yeah, I do love that one. Not only very funny, but also has a lovely feel to it. :)

Just waiting for the series 5 DVD to drop in price a bit...

Strange, but I really used to hate this show originally. However, in the last couple of years I have caught some repeats and found it very funny. It is just very silly, OTT and very British. Has aged pretty well. :D

Sitcom culture is not, to put it mildly, popular around these. Vast majority scorn at it ...and keep watching American Pies and Russian mafia shows, compared to which Sopranos are Sunday school programmes.

There is one exception, however. Everyone knows what Hyacinth is. Almost everyone has seen at least few episodes. I have no explanation about this phenomenon, other that an average Latvian must be into senile humor (similarly, many still remeber In Loving Memory, aired some 10 years ago, with fond memories). KuA is on almost constant repeat in one channel.

I like it myself, I have series 1-4 on DVD, and me and my wife watch it now and then. It'd probably scrape the bottom of my top 20 Britcoms... or maybe top 15. The Emmett character was one of my faves, for (am I becoming sexist here?) it is plausible for a female to be scared of such intimidating neighbour... but, when a man is so terrified at her... that is excruciatingly funny :) his expressions are fantastic :)

Quote: Aaron @ January 9, 2007, 4:39 PM

Yeah, I do love that one. Not only very funny, but also has a lovely feel to it. :)

Just waiting for the series 5 DVD to drop in price a bit...

Same here am also waiting for the 2 Allo Allo series 5 DVD's to drop in price.

I'm still trying to convince myself to buy 'Allo 'Allo series 1-4. Might just wait for a complete box set now though. Another four series left, which could easily be just two releases.