BBC Comedy College Page 60

I do seefacts but it's not the same as reading a script

Quote: bushbaby @ May 24 2008, 10:09 AM BST

Tim can you not put your script on here then we can see what sort of stuff/standard we need to do

There are several reasons I'm not going to do that, BB, fear of plagiarism actually being far down the list. The script that's getting most interest has just gone through a major re-draft and I honestly couldn't be arsed to have to type it out again at the moment.

There are plenty of TV sitcom scripts available and I would suggest reading those. If you're looking to write a mainstream sitcom then I would suggest studying the Fawlty Towers scripts for a masterclass in dialogue, pacing and structure.

I don't really think anyone would benefit from reading one of my scripts on here. The current draft is unlikely to be the same as the one which (hopefully) might make it to pilot. Also, I think you have to write your own way. I've been guilty myself of watching/reading a show and thinking, "Well, if I write something like that...". Write what you find funny, it really is the only way.

Best wishes.

Ok thanks Tim

deleted, it was a daft question anyway

I notice there's a new update about what they've been up to at the BBC Comedy College on the Writers Room blog for anyone that's interested: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/2008/07/college_7_and_paul_makin.shtml

(In case anyone is confused, I've just re-named this thread for clarity - it used to be called "BBC announces new comedy writing scheme")

This is a tad catchier.

That's an excellent blog by Micheal Jacob. If he keeps that up, he will be taking us all through the Comedy College as well as the six who qualified.

I hope he does...

Thanks Micheal, if you're still reading

Dan

You know, reading that makes me understand just how monstrously wide of the mark my own submission (not to mention my , ahem, 'understanding' of sit-com) to the College was. Which can only be a good thing.

An absolutely fantastic blog post – he's managed to pack more into that than I would have ever thought possible. I hope there's more to come.

Not noted as 'Comedy College' but another blog that relates from Micheal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/2008/07/hints_and_tips_from_guests_of.shtml

And soon we'll all be good. Maybe.

Marc seems to be having quite a good time in the comments too.

Dan

Micheal is an extremely erudite man but I like to help him out when I can.

:)

:)

Seriously though, is Sharpe coming back from Europe?

(That was the only comment I read...)

Marc - are you on this course?

Alas no.

Hello

Some strange instinct led me back here. I'm glad the blog is being useful. I'll try to continue to make it so.

Oooops.