BBC Comedy College Page 58

I think it's still a mystery what Michael and the beeb want. They never really defined it properly.

one can't define the X factor though, you just know it when you see it

I mean for the scheme in general. The College of Drama has a clearly defined goal to train writers so that they can write for the likes of Doctors and Casualty, etc, and then hopefully go on to develop their own drama ideas.

There are no long running comedy shows in the uk that have a desperate need for wtriters, so at the end of twelve months these six will just pitch there ideas for shows. Some will fail, others might get a pilot that goes out at eleven one weekday night on BBC3. Maybe one, if their lucky, will get a series commissioned... Is that really worth all the hype and expectation that has built up around this scheme?

(Apologies if all that sounds overly cynical)

A big well done to JW. Ya boo sucks to rest of us inconsequential verb jockeys.

Have to agree that this scheme seems completely pointless. Apart from giving the vague impression that the BBC are nuturing 'new' talent (is that part of its license fee remits?).

Why couldn't these writers, who clearly have very good contacts and experience, have not submitted their material in the normal ways, or through the contacts they already obviously have? If they're that good they would have been picked up on, right? And I'm not saying they're not good - just that they sound as if a script they submitted would have been considered anyway. Why have a college scheme gimmick?

In the past BBC New Comedy and Talent Schemes have been completely open - usually with the proviso that the entrant didn't have too much previous experience. This just seems like a way of dressing up the fact that the BBC will try out some pilot shows with some people who are already earning a living from comedy and/or script writing, but are not yet household names. Can the mentoring aspect of this scheme really help these people, who seem like they're doing pretty well and already working with experienced people?

I know the BBC isn't a charity for would-be writers, but what will be the point of this scheme? So some new shows and ideas will be developed? But what's new with that? Why do the big 'college of comedy' packaging?

Perhaps it’s a problem of perception: the overriding sense you get from the early pages of this thread is that people believe this is just like a New Talent scheme, with an added provision that you must have had some previous success. But really, it’s not such a scheme at all. You can’t seriously say Catherine Shepherd, for instance, has been plucked from obscurity or would not have ‘made it’ without the College. This isn’t a criticism at all, as I’m sure it will prove to be a success, but in terms of fledgling writers or those with only a handful of radio credits to their name, this just probably isn’t for them. I know Michael has said he read the scripts first and then the CVs (which I’m sure is the reverse of what he said previously, but no matter) so there is no prejudice at work here: these writers are very, very good, and their experience and contacts is evidence of that. If nothing else, the past achievements of those who were picked just goes to show that hard work is essential and that if you have the talent it really does pay off.

Pripyat - true. And as long as your talent appeals to the judge. After all funny is all in the eye of the beholder.

Well done Jdubya!
I thought you'd got it, cos the other day you did a Whistling nnocently when you were talking about it.

:)

I don't understand why people can't see the benefit of a scheme that was always pitched as not for beginners! The only way I feel I can explain what I think is to use the analogy of football (apologies to non football fans).

A player who is in the youth team has proven talent and the opportunity to train/play with the first team can help to build on this talent. This would therefore be beneficial to both the player and the club. The success rate would be substantially lowered at the risk of a beginner being given the opportunity (although I do feel this is not impossible-I've seen Dream Team!)

The mentors for this scheme are amongst the most successful comedy writers, who from what I can gather, are offering their guidance to those with proven talent. These chosen few could, in the future, become those house hold names with this opportunity to join the 'first team'

This scheme has the potential to deliver fantastic new british comedy for us all to enjoy which, I feel, can only be a good thing. It's new and unproven and noone knows what the outcome will be, but, I applaud the intiative.

Massive comgratulations to you Jdubya on your success and I hope this proves to be a great opportunity for you. :D

Congratulations jdubya.

Well done jdubya,,I'm left in no doubt that your place is well earned and deserved.

Oh yeah, so who did you get, Jdubya?

I can't understand why so many people are surprised at the final selections. Surely the law of averages dictates that those with a bit of 'success' already will enter the better scripts?

To use a point made earlier (to argue why experienced writers shouldn't qualify), "If they're that good they would have been picked up on, right?" Well, surely that same point applies to everyone on this board?

I know Andrew Viner, and I'm delighted for him, he's a very talented writer but hasn't had a proper 'break' in mainstream comedy as yet, which is what I understand this college to be all about.

Personally, as a 'novice' with half a dozen minor writing credits, I am looking at the CVs of the successful entrants and looking at how I can match them for experience in the next couple of years. Then, if this scheme runs again, who knows...

Quote: Smithy @ May 23 2008, 9:43 AM BST

I know Andrew Viner, and I'm delighted for him, he's a very talented writer but hasn't had a proper 'break' in mainstream comedy as yet, which is what I understand this college to be all about.

I must have missed the bit in the original blurb mentioning they wanted "mainstream comedy".

Yeah, its not like the BBC to do mainstream comedy -what's going on???