BBC Comedy College Page 59

Quote: chipolata @ May 23 2008, 9:53 AM BST

I must have missed the bit in the original blurb mentioning they wanted "mainstream comedy".

OK, perhaps a poor phrasing, but my point stands. With the possible exception of Catherine Shepherd I don't think any of the successful entrants could be considered to have 'made it'.

And by 'made it' I mean having a track record of writing television comedy for the BBC.

I'm not picking on you specifically chipolata, but there seems to be an awful lot of bitterness about this project from people who weren't successful.

I don't think it hurts for people to grumble and let off steam. And we should feel free to criticise BBC schemes, not least because we ultimately pay for them through the liscense fee (or, to give it it's proper name, regressive tax).

As for the winners, the majority do seem to have fulfilled the criteria for getting into the College of Comedy. I've got no problem with them, and for the record, I agree about Andrew Viner. I haven't met him, but his CV indicates he's been toiling in the wilderness for a while so he deserves the break. Not sure about those twins, though. Does anybody think else they sound a bit creepy?

I agree, as an organisation funded by us, we have every right to criticise it as we see fit.

However, this project seems to have done exactly what it set out to. It was perfectly clear about the type of writer it was looking to recruit (I didn't bother entering as I didn't feel qualified to do so) and has so far done exactly what it said on tin.

I hope it goes extremely well, as it's then more likely we'll get a chance in future years.

Hey, many congrats, Jdubya! And I thought you were George Bush :)

Quote: Smithy @ May 23 2008, 10:46 AM BST

It was perfectly clear about the type of writer it was looking to recruit (I didn't bother entering as I didn't feel qualified to do so) and has so far done exactly what it said on tin.

I hope it goes extremely well, as it's then more likely we'll get a chance in future years.

I don't think it was so clear. If I remember rightly one of the ways to be eligiable was to simply be a student on a script writing course.

I think this scheme is invaluable in that it provides that much needed boost to the next level in a comedy writer's career.

I'm sure quite a few people are in the same position as myself. I've managed to attract interest from producers and get an agent, I have scripts in various stages of development, but actually getting a comedy produced has eluded me. And that's just as difficult as getting noticed in the first place. The bio's of the writers selected would suggest that some have the same problem.

If you write drama there is something of a career path. It's possible to get commissioned to write an episode of a continuing drama or get on a scheme like Coming Up. But there's really not much of a similar nature in comedy and it seems more difficult to get out of the "first room".

Naturally we're all disappointed not to have made it but I hope the scheme prospers and runs again next year.

Quote: David Chapman @ May 18 2008, 11:18 PM BST

This isn't the Health of the Nation thing is it? That's got until mid-June.

Can anyone shed some light on this comp? I didn't know anything about it!!

Quote: Jenuff @ May 23 2008, 5:08 PM BST

Can anyone shed some light on this comp? I didn't know anything about it!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunity/sharps.shtml

Just to echo the other congrats to JDubya - big up the Warbs! Well done matey, you thoroughly deserve it you spawny get. See you at the British Comedy Awards then!

(I'll be the one sweeping the floor). :-)

Good Job Big Felllllla!

May I add my congratulations. Extremely well done!

Bo.

Quote: Perry Nium @ May 23 2008, 11:30 PM BST

Just to echo the other congrats to JDubya - big up the Warbs! Well done matey, you thoroughly deserve it you spawny get. See you at the British Comedy Awards then!

(I'll be the one sweeping the floor). :-)

Perry, if anyone deserves it...you do!!!

Congratulations to jdubya and the others who got selected. As someone who was nearly short-listed (and had a pleasant chat with Micheal) I think we should be grateful for such schemes, whatever minor short-comings they may have. Anything that helps new writers to advance is generally a good thing.

There is never going to be a scheme that is suitable for everyone and I reckon the BBC chose the candidates not just because of their talent, but because the scheme seemed the best-suited route to their (the candidated)advancement.

It does not necessarily follow that writers with talent will benefit from such a scheme. For some of us (e.g. with kids to support) it was always going to be better to try and make it via the traditional routes.

To those of you that didn't make it, I wouldn't feel too aggrieved. Presumably you've got a year to improve your writing and your c.v. before the next round of applications. Myself, I was buoyed by the fact that around the time I was rejected I had a meeting with some "major players" with a view to developing one of my sitcoms. The old traditional routes into this f-ing business are still there.

Tim can you not put your script on here then we can see what sort of stuff/standard we need to do

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 24 2008, 9:26 AM BST

Myself, I was buoyed by the fact that around the time I was rejected I had a meeting with some "major players" with a view to developing one of my sitcoms. The old traditional routes into this f-ing business are still there.

The routes are there, that's very true so this Beeb thing is in no way a be all and end all.

Quote: bushbaby @ May 24 2008, 10:09 AM BST

Tim can you not put your script on here then we can see what sort of stuff/standard we need to do

Just watch the telly BB. THAT'S the standard you need to be aiming at.