Marc Wootton Exposed Page 3

Quote: Leevil @ January 11, 2008, 12:50 PM

To be honest - I just don't like his face.

Chortle have interviewed him recently (link here). Reading between the lines you get the distinct impression they didn't like him.

Quote: johnny roulette @ January 10, 2008, 8:21 AM

is there anyone on the boards who is 18-24 who can say whether they find them funny?

I'm (almost) 18 and find these shows painfully bad. I don't know anyone who does like them...mainly because they have good taste Whistling nnocently

Ok, I watched this tonight. It wasn't as bad as the impression I'd been given from earlier reviews, but it wasn't very good either, and I don't remember laughing. I did quite like the vampire guy, but on the whole pretty average at best.

I just about managed 10 minutes before I switched off. There were a few moments of good technique, but overall I think it falls into that horrible trap of BBC's obsession with sketch comedy.

I didn't think too much of it. And it makes me sad to think this guy was once seen as a very promisising newcomer, now he seems a tired old has-been way before his time.

I have to say that having watched the second episode that I still think this show has merit. The old lady character is excellent and there are some laughs elsewhere as well. A better script editor could have helped things though.

Agreed Nick, about the old lady character. The sketch about being able to just make out the colour of the flowers through the frosted glass of the door was actually moving.

Sorry to be so boring but it's nice to see an old person in a show not pissing herself or saying f**k for the amusement of some workshy teenager.

When is this actually on?
For a person who watches her fair share of telly, I haven't even come across it yet. Never mind chosen whether or not to watch it.

Sunday, 9:30pm, BBC Three (after Two Pints). Repeats at numerous times during the week. :)

Really wasn't sure what to make of the first episode. Having watched the second though, I think there's some good characters, and he seems to have a reasonable range. But it's poorly executed, and ultimately, just really not funny.

So I'd be interested to see some further exploration of the characters, but in a different form. It just doesn't really work as a sketch show like this I don't think.

Aaron can you post a link because I only have paupers tv mate so I'd like to see if the Wooton thing got better [though I didn't dislike the first show as much as most everybody else]

At the bottom of the page below http://www.chortle.co.uk/interviews/2008/01/09/6241/winding_up_the_wind-ups

there is a link to watch the first episode...hope this works for you!

Too many monologues, sketches are too long, annoying fat face like a great big turnip.

Get lost, Wootton.

I think I read that very same review in the Times.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 20, 2008, 1:36 AM

Agreed Nick, about the old lady character. The sketch about being able to just make out the colour of the flowers through the frosted glass of the door was actually moving.

Yes - she is a rather great character indeed. Acted out superbly.

I think this steers me towards the problem with this show - quite a bit of it is actually quite subtle (the Bansky character's idea of taking a photo of a photo of a photo was good for example), yet they've set it up as yet another fast-paced, brash, in-your-face BBC Three comedy... which it isn't... so it just doesn't work.

One thing's for sure - the audience laugh track they've laid over the 'non live' sketches on episode two certainly needs to be turned down! It blasted out so loud I almost fell off my chair!