Marc Wootton Exposed

I was sure there was already a thread for this but I can't find it now?!? Anyway...

Marc Wootton Exposed, the new sketch show from, um... Marc Wootton (him of Shirley Ghostman, My New Best Friend fame) has been moved from 10:30pm to 9:30pm this Sunday for its first episode signaling that BBC3 are expecting it to be a hit (it will now goe out right after the brand new Two Pints episode).

I saw a preview of this a couple of weeks ago - first impressions were that Marc is clearly a talented actor (some of his characters are very different from his personality - seems he likes dressing up as ladies!), but overall there just wasn't enough laughs (like most BBC3 sketch shows). Some of the sketches are rather tedious actually.

That said, there's a couple of great characters - for me it's the posh rapper, kid disciplinarian and old gran. Worth watching the first week at least (I suspect it'll start repeating badly after that).

EDIT: You can watch the first episode on the BBC website now - if you check it out, please let us know what you thought below...

Thanks Mark, will watch this.

Worst comedy person on telly at the moment.

Dreadful.

I was hoping the thread title referred to him having been exposed as a cruel joke done by some TV producers to prove people will watch any old shite.

I'm not even joking I nearly fell asleep watching this.

I didn't crack a smile once, it's a simple reversal on the characters he's playing: cute baby - none cute baby, in theory is should work (to some extent) but it just doesn't it's terrible and a lot of it has been done before.

I swear the rapping posh bloke has been done on youtube by 15 year olds about a thousand times. I really hope heads roll for making this shambles of a sketch show.

Does anyone remember this guy going on Jonathan Ross as his 'Shirley Ghostman' character? Oh god it was awful.

I must admit, I did used to crack up at 'My New Best Friend' though

Quote: Eat_My_Shirts @ January 7, 2008, 6:19 PM

Does anyone remember this guy going on Jonathan Ross as his 'Shirley Ghostman' character? Oh god it was awful.

I must admit, I did used to crack up at 'My New Best Friend' though

That's the one!

Best Friend was amusing for one or two shows, but it was the same every week.

Quote: Seefacts @ January 7, 2008, 5:44 PM

Worst comedy person on telly at the moment.

Hardly.

Very talented actor and performer. Simple as that.

I was just looking for a clip of when he was on the Jonathan Ross show a couple of years back, and it turns out that the BBC received 350 complaints about him and his jokes about cancer and Adolf Hitler.

So why on earth would the BBC commission this guy again after that?

Quote: Eat_My_Shirts @ January 7, 2008, 6:38 PM

I was just looking for a clip of when he was on the Jonathan Ross show a couple of years back, and it turns out that the BBC received 350 complaints about him and his jokes about cancer and Adolf Hitler.

So why on earth would the BBC commission this guy again after that?

That's because people didn't realise it was a joke.

The reason they commissioned this show is because he is very highly regarded. Cyderdelic and My New Best Friend both won awards and he is appearing in his first major movie role with Anna Faris soon. Rightly or wrongly he is tipped for big things right now.

Quote: Nick @ January 7, 2008, 6:36 PM

Hardly.

Very talented actor and performer. Simple as that.

One note, terrible delivery and very, very annoying.

Movie role? I wouldn't wanna see this guy in a movie. He looks like a warthog. Is he playing a warthog in the movie?

I can't comment on this show because I can't watch it yet but he played 6 completely different characters on My New Best Friend, another 4 on Shirley Ghostman and has impressed in several other things that I've seen him in.

Obviously I can't say whether he is any good in this but he is a talented actor and performer. No doubt about it.

Quote: Eat_My_Shirts @ January 7, 2008, 6:51 PM

Movie role? I wouldn't wanna see this guy in a movie. He looks like a warthog. Is he playing a warthog in the movie?

I suspect he will be playing a human being as he did in My New Best Friend which you've already confessed to enjoying.

I haven't seen this yet, but I have seen some of his other work in sitcom appearances and My Best Friend and he is very talented indeed. But like Peter Serfan... and John Culshaw, it doesn't necessarily mean he can write.

I don't mind repeat characters as long as each repeat shows a new twist on the character or situation, not just a template applied in a different setting. Fry and Laurie were great at that.

I enjoyed Shirley Shostman he played a fine character but I still can't get my head round how he could make a sketch show so bad. I'm guessing the ratings will say a lot more than I ever can.

Quote: Paul W @ January 7, 2008, 7:03 PM

I'm guessing the ratings will say a lot more than I ever can.

Only if you can speak the language of numbers.