Doctor Who... Page 355

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ December 6 2009, 9:40 PM GMT

That's the problem with Who though (Don't answer that)
It's a kid's show, so it's never going to be the good dark Sci Fi that we're all hoping for.
As long as they bring The Daleks back from time to time I don't mind.

Who said kid's shows can't be dark and powerful?

As Matthew rightly say's it's a Family Show.
And as SootyJ pointed out there's no reason why a Family show can't be dark & powerful.

For me, although I think the show is great I always get the nagging feeling that it could be better.
But it needs to appeal to a broad demographic, so it's a difficult thing to pull off.

Quote: sootyj @ December 6 2009, 9:44 PM GMT

Who said kid's shows can't be dark and powerful?

I'm not saying I want Doctor Who to be dark (remember Lenny Henry's awful parody?), I would just like the emotional side played down. By all means, let there be powerful emotions (and even romance if necessary) but don't constantly switch from forced mad manic glee to ponderous pompous emotional angst.

I think the last series of Torchwood showed the way as did the snappier Dr Who episodes. Blink, Dalek, the Empty Child is what Dr Who should be all about.

Well, they did go for an adult version and came up with Torchwood, though they didn't make it any darker or scarier, just put sex in it.

Speaking of Torchwood, I only just found out it's an anagram of Doctor Who, I didn't know that! Was it just me, or is this common knowledge?

Quote: sootyj @ December 6 2009, 9:53 PM GMT

I think the last series of Torchwood showed the way as did the snappier Dr Who episodes. Blink, Dalek, the Empty Child is what Dr Who should be all about.

Agreed!
When they get it right it's excellent.

Quote: Moonstone @ December 6 2009, 9:54 PM GMT

Speaking of Torchwood, I only just found out it's an anagram of Doctor Who, I didn't know that! Was it just me, or is this common knowledge?

Fraid so!
but only for geeks & me

:O So that makes me a geek now! *proud*

Quote: Moonstone @ December 6 2009, 10:01 PM GMT

:O So that makes me a geek now! *proud*

The Geek shall inherit the earth, Isn't that what they say?
They're the only ones that will know where all the leads go.

Quote: Moonstone @ December 6 2009, 9:54 PM GMT

I felt the same way when I discovered that Tadsilweny from Asterix and the Falling Sky was an anagram of Walt Disney.

John Nathan-Turner was apparently fond of anagrams and used them a few times for the Master. Such as Tremas, whose body was taken by the Master in The Keeper of Traken. And Anthony Ainley was credited as Neil Toynay in Castrovlalva, and as Leon Ny Taiy in the first one or two episodes of Time Flight, when we weren't supposed to know he was Kalid.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ December 6 2009, 10:04 PM GMT

The Geek shall inherit the earth, Isn't that what they say?
They're the only ones that will know where all the leads go.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Kenneth @ December 6 2009, 10:05 PM GMT

I felt the same way when I discovered that Tadsilweny from Asterix and the Falling Sky was an anagram of Walt Disney.

John Nathan-Turner was apparently fond of anagrams and used them a few times for the Master. Such as Tremas, whose body was taken by the Master in The Keeper of Traken. And Anthony Ainley was credited as Neil Toynay in Castrovlalva, and as Leon Ny Taiy in the first one or two episodes of Time Flight, when we weren't supposed to know he was Kalid.

Kenneth, the wolrd will be yours to rule... :P

BBC historian suggests the failure to complete Shada (1979 Tom Baker Doctor Who story by Douglas Adams - studio scenes not filmed due to strike) was not because the Morecambe & Wise Christmas Special was a priority (after the strike was resolved), but rather, it was deliberately sacrificed to show the severe consequences of the union strikes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8400078.stm

I'm getting The Deadly Assassin and Curse of Fenric on DVD for Christmas!

I wouldn't mind getting this for Christmas: http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Error-Finder-Continuity/dp/0786419903

Quote: Ben @ December 12 2009, 7:08 PM GMT

Loooove Fenric.

'We play the game again-Time Lord!'

Quote: Ben @ December 12 2009, 7:08 PM GMT

The Deadly Assassin is brilliant. I'm getting the TV Movie (Errr) and The Rescue / The Romans boxset for Christmas.