Doctor Who... Page 1,088

Are you saying the reveal at the end of episode 1 of City of Death wasn't scary or dramatic? That story managed to combine fun and cleverness and jeopardy. I'm not even sure what they're trying to do any more.

Quote: Badge @ 8th September 2014, 2:51 PM BST

I'm not even sure what they're trying to do any more.

Amuse themselves, I think.

Self abuse is all very well Lazard. But there should be a responsible adult to see that is not shown on television!

Sadly, I think the culprits have attained "they can do no wrong" status.

Quote: Badge @ 8th September 2014, 2:51 PM BST

Are you saying the reveal at the end of episode 1 of City of Death wasn't scary or dramatic? That story managed to combine fun and cleverness and jeopardy. I'm not even sure what they're trying to do any more.

City of Death is a very bad example of why old Who is better than current Who. In many ways it very closely resembles what they're doing now and I bet both Gatiss and Moffat love it.

It's set on Earth.
It has historical figures who turn out to be aliens.
It has a spaceship exploding that starts life on Earth. (Yawn)
It's full of pranks and schoolboy humour.
It has a dopey Rory action figure - Duggan.
It has very poor prosthetic effects. (The scaroth mask)
It was written by someone who thought he was much cleverer than he was.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 8th September 2014, 12:44 AM BST

What was the last episode of Doctor Who that everyone liked?

I guess the last episode was Robot of Sherwood, but I generally haven't liked that many since the relaunch. Dalek, Blink, School Reunion, Vincent and the Doctor, Hide, Night Terrors and The Day of The Doctor are the only ones that really spring to mind. Oh and I quite liked The Fires of Pompeii too. The rest I just can't engage with.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 8th September 2014, 5:24 PM BST

City of Death is a very bad example of why old Who is better than current Who. In many ways it very closely resembles what they're doing now and I bet both Gatiss and Moffat love it.

It's set on Earth.
It has historical figures who turn out to be aliens.
It has a spaceship exploding that starts life on Earth. (Yawn)
It's full of pranks and schoolboy humour.
It has a dopey Rory action figure - Duggan.
It has very poor prosthetic effects. (The scaroth mask)
It was written by someone who thought he was much cleverer than he was.

Dissing Douglas Adams,that's like finding out your school librarians joined ISIS.

I love City of Death. Up there with Pyramids of Mars, Talons of Weng Chiang and Genesis of the Daleks for me.

I rewatched Pyramids of Mars and it's great hokey fun, like a cross between a lurid Hammer Horror film and a cheezy 1980s scifi series.

But the idea of Dr Who as serious scifi is so laughable, its indeed laughable.

I don't have much time for this rose-tinted view of the RTD days. I remember plots which didn't make sense, unbearable sentimentality, and a side-order of Eastendersish mundanity. This was a time when the overuse of the sonic screwdriver was at its peak, and half the universe was unaccountably gay.

The everyone's gay is much more a Moffat indulgence.

I beg to differ

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/12724/

Laughing out loud Classy.

Almost journalism rather than comedy though.

Quote: Nogget @ 8th September 2014, 9:52 PM BST

I don't have much time for this rose-tinted view of the RTD days. I remember plots which didn't make sense, unbearable sentimentality, and a side-order of Eastendersish mundanity. This was a time when the overuse of the sonic screwdriver was at its peak, and half the universe was unaccountably gay.

I couldn't have put it better myself. In a nutshell.

And now we still have the plots that don't make sense. And instead of sentimentality we have endless smut. You don't have to be Morrissey to be sick and tired of it.

Great sketch, but that was Torchwood. Which was proof of why trying to make an adult Dr Who is as good an idea as making Peppa Pig a Muslim.

nb as for the Sonic Screwdriver, c'mon give it a break. Like psychic paper, giant scarves and the Tardis it's self it's just a prop. It allows the show, to show how the Dr does stuff.

Quote: sootyj @ 9th September 2014, 8:44 AM BST

nb as for the Sonic Screwdriver, c'mon give it a break. Like psychic paper, giant scarves and the Tardis it's self it's just a prop. It allows the show, to show how the Dr does stuff.

No, it stopped the Doctor doing stuff; instead of using his ingenuity he'd just point the sonic at things. I think to his credit, Moffat started to rein that in a bit.