Doctor Who... Page 1,009

Quote: zooo @ July 8 2013, 9:34 PM BST

Ooh, we get chick flicks. Lucky us.

A lot of chick flicks actually fail (or barely pass) the test.

Take Legally Blonde. I love and hate that film, partly because I worked my arse off to get into law school, and she just has to sit in a bikini in a hot tub..but that's another issue.

We have the main female character, Elle Woods. Who else does she speak to? The Selma Blair character..but they are generally fighting over the annoying man, so that's out. The woman in the beauty salon - but again, they are talking about the annoying man, or the DHL guy, or whoever.

Yes, I know it's a chick flick so it's about finding love, but it's still another one to put on the list.

There are some very successful (and good) female action films. Kill Bill for one two. There should be more.

Quote: Marc P @ July 8 2013, 9:40 PM BST

Sorry yes I missed that part of you asking me to,
;)) But there is a point there you are missing. I am saying I don't want to be part of a club.. whatever it is. Women are involved in most of the contemporary powerful , in media sense, depiction of art in a large way was my other point. What Art fails this test in the modern sense.... and DR WHO is not art in any meaningful way - and I agree with some of the points in the article which is why I posted it by the way.

Maths was relating to number of years since feminism as a political ideological artistic force sixties seventies,,, to now. I.e how many years which of course is vague. :)

Well if one starts from the pov that women have only been able to be involved in the arts as equals for maybe 100 years. Then there's a lot of catching upto do, the question is mathematical balance the way?

Yeah f**k history. Let's talk about now. No catching up to do. Make stories. Make them good. That's it. :)

Kill Bill 3, please!

Nooooo Billwill is a lovely man!

Quote: zooo @ July 8 2013, 9:42 PM BST

There are some very successful (and good) female action films. Kill Bill for one two. There should be more.

I'm disallowing Quentin Tarrantinos wank fantasy.

And Legally Blond was a film that I'm guessing that mostly went to see. Maybe it's what some women like watching?

I don't like watching Adam Sandler movies, it's wrong of me to judge those who do.

It's even worse for me to impose my values on them.

Quote: Marc P @ July 8 2013, 9:40 PM BST

Sorry yes I missed that part of you asking me to,
;)) But there is a point there you are missing. I am saying I don't want to be part of a club.. whatever it is. Women are involved in most of the contemporary powerful , in media sense, depiction of art in a large way was my other point. What Art fails this test in the modern sense.... and DR WHO is not art in any meaningful way - and I agree with some of the points in the article which is why I posted it by the way.

Maths was relating to number of years since feminism as a political ideological artistic force sixties seventies,,, to now. I.e how many years which of course is vague. :)

I'm not in a club. It's not about clubs (especially not ones that use the dreaded 'F' word..) it's about ideas. And argument. And art. I fully accept that women probably do drive art in many arenas (although I would argue Hollywood is not one of them). It doesn't necessarily follow that the output is more female-centric. (I hate myself for using that word, but you know what I mean).

I think Dr Who is art. Whether it's good art is another issue, but it's still art.

He's been Kill Billed twice already, he'll be fine!

Quote: sootyj @ July 8 2013, 9:47 PM BST

Yeah, we finally get a fun female superhero type that isn't all about how massive her tits are, best ignore that one... Rolling eyes

Quote: Jennie @ July 8 2013, 9:47 PM BST

I'm not in a club. It's not about clubs (especially not ones that use the dreaded 'F' word..) it's about ideas. And argument. And art. I fully accept that women probably do drive art in many arenas (although I would argue Hollywood is not one of them). It doesn't necessarily follow that the output is more female-centric. (I hate myself for using that word, but you know what I mean).

I think Dr Who is art. Whether it's good art is another issue, but it's still art.

What's wrong with feminism?

At the risk of sounding like a post feminist new man it's one of the most powerful and successful protest movements the worlds ever seen.

I think the question is why do people like shit films? Which has less to do with gender politics and a heck of a lot more to do with massively over priced films directed by bankers.

Quote: zooo @ July 8 2013, 9:50 PM BST

He's been Kill Billed twice already, he'll be fine!

Yeah, we finally get a fun female superhero type that isn't all about how massive her tits are, best ignore that one... Rolling eyes

No I'd say Cloud Atlas, Alien, Zero Dark 30 all awesome.

Kill Bill bored me because it was a dull Tarantino film with no wit but bags of pretension.

Quote: sootyj @ July 8 2013, 9:47 PM BST

And Legally Blond was a film that I'm guessing that mostly went to see. Maybe it's what some women like watching?

I don't like watching Adam Sandler movies, it's wrong of me to judge those who do.

It's even worse for me to impose my values on them.

But it's not about imposing values on anyone. I'm not saying there should be less Fast and the Furious. I'm saying there should be more interesting, sexy-because-they-are-intelligent-and-funny-and-can-shoot-a-gun women in movies.

Quote: Jennie @ July 8 2013, 9:47 PM BST

It could be but has become too committee driven .. it's not ART because it is not saying something anymore. I have no knowledge of Hollywood but I am sure you are right! :) Absolutely sure. :(

Quote: sootyj @ July 8 2013, 9:34 PM BST

I don't want Alan Titmarsh.

That makes you the worst kind of florist.

And perhaps that there should be more women in Fast and the Furious. Driving the cars and what not.

Quote: Marc P @ July 8 2013, 9:54 PM BST

I have no knowledge of Hollywood but I am sure you are right! :) Absolutely sure. :(

To be fair, that is a massive assumption on my part.

Quote: sootyj @ July 8 2013, 9:53 PM BST

No I'd say Cloud Atlas, Alien, Zero Dark 30 all awesome.

Kill Bill bored me because it was a dull Tarantino film with no wit but bags of pretension.

I thought it was great fun!
Alien's fantastic. But that and Terminator (2) have always stood out to women my age as they were the only two when we were growing up that actually had cool women in.
Well I only had Alien on video, it was already pretty old. But you know what I mean.